Chapter 22 - Nottingham

Archer had to figure out how to stay in Nottingham Town. Could he be sick? Ha! That was laughable. Could he have an "accident" on the road and have to come back? That might actually hurt. An unexpected visitor? Arggghhhh. He determined that he was not the mastermind of subterfuge.

As it happened, he didn't have to come up with an excuse. Tax day was in town. Hopefully, being in town, there would be a more successful collection. Maiming people was taking its toll on him. He bought and sold in weapons; the tools of the trade, not the trade itself.

Murdstone was in a particularly foul mood today. Tax collection in Nottingham was more successful than in the villages. While satisfying for Vaisey and the coffers, Murdstone missed out on his opportunities for fun. Besides the fact that he had to be more lenient in town....wouldn't want Vaisey curtailing his entertainment.

As such, there were only some whippings for the day. Murdstone decided that he would make Archer take care of them. By mid-morning there were 4 in the stocks ready to go.

"Archer!" He signaled to Archer by holding up the whip. "Get to it!"

Archer sighed and wandered, slowly, to the stocks. "Yes, my lord?"

"Always with the sarcasm. Someday, I'm gonna get you, boy!"

Archer saluted Murdstone, took the whip and took the first person out of the stocks. He tied her to the post on the dais where all punishment was doled out.

They were alone on the raised surface, as such Archer tied the rope looser than normal. As he stood beside the woman, tying the knot, he said, "Please forgive me."

The woman looked at him and saw the genuine sorrow in his eyes. "I see that, my son. I am sorry that you must do this." Archer carried out his orders.

*****************************

Just before noon, he headed toward the castle for lunch. As soon as he was out of sight of Murdstone he changed course and headed to the Trip Tavern. As he entered the tavern he spotted Vincent sitting with a man of middle age. He approached the table, clapped Vincent on the back and extended the other toward the tinker.

"Name's Archer. Thank you for meeting with me."

The tinker took Archer's hand and gave it a firm shake. "The name is Yardley. Tis a pleasure, sir." The tinker looked around nervously. "I 'ope we can take care of this quick like. I don't like being here too long; don't exactly get along with the hoi poloi, if you know what I mean."

"I understand completely. I understand that you make regular runs to London and to the north."

"Aye, I have a route that I pretty much stick to. Got regular clients all up and down the London road."

"Vincent here, says that you are trustworthy."

"'Ere, now! I'm a tinker. Tinkers ain't nothing without being trustworthy."

Archer smiled, he had spent a significant amount of time with tinkers, so he was well aware of the type of people they were. Generous and kind hearted, but wary at the same time. "I have no doubt, my friend."

Archer ordered food and ale for the 3 and set about making arrangements with Yardley.

"I need someone to carry some things for me." At Yardley's cocked eyebrow Archer waved and hand and said, "Mostly letters. I have people in London and people in Sunderland with whom I am communicating."

"And who might these people be?"

Archer was not entirely sure how much he should tell the man when he noticed Yardley blanch and turn away from the door. He turned round in his seat to find a man in his twenties with pretty blond hair standing in the doorway.

"Who is that?" he asked Vincent.

"That is Lord Wh-Whitten. He owns a few hu-hundred acres south of the Trent." Whitten crossed the tavern and entered a room at the other end of the building.

"Are you okay?" He asked the tinker.

"Aye. I will be, just as soon as I get outta this town." He stood. "Do you have something that needs to go north now?"

"We haven't discussed payment."

"Don't you worry about that now. We can discuss it on my return...I don't know why I even stop at this God-forsaken town."

"Now there, Yardley, you know you c-can't keep away," said Vincent.

"Aye." The tinker ruffled Vincent's hair. "Yer mam...she's quite the woman. Now, gimme your parcel." He turned to Archer and held out his hand; all the while keeping an eye on the door at the back.

Archer gave him the letter and said, "This must go directly to Lord Bingham-"

"Bingham? In Sunderland?"

"Yes, Lord Bingham."

"I'll be glad to take it to him. I been told that Birtley is back at court, it'll be good to get back to helping out those lads."

Archer was sure that the tinker was younger than both Birtley and Bingham, but held his tongue on that issue. "You know the gentlemen?"

"Aye, I've been taking things back and forth for them for years." The tinker suddenly realized what he was saying and started to get panicky.

Vincent put a hand to his arm and said, "It's alright Yardley. Mr. Archer here is working with both of them."

Yardley visibly relaxed and took the letter from Archer. "I'd best be on my way." He shook Archer's hand, "Good luck to you, sir." He gave Vincent a quick hug and was out the door.

Archer turned to Vincent, "This Whitten fellow? Tell me about him."

Vincent told Archer about the supposed robberies and abuses committed by Whitten and his men. "I'm s-surprised Robin Hood and his men haven't caught them yet. B-b-but they were caught a few months ago and by some women!"

"Women?" Archer started to laugh.