Chapter 17 - A Meeting in Sherwood

Early the next day Sir Henry left Nottingham on the long ride to London. He was anxious to see his son and to learn how Catherine was getting on. He had developed quite a fondness for the young woman and was hoping that his son was as well.

Vaisey did not see him off. However, Murdstone was there to provide last minute instruction.

"The Sheriff wants me to see you off, Sir Henry." Murdstone bowed deeply, obviously with great sarcasm.

"Thank you, Murdstone. Are there any messages for me to convey?"

"The Sheriff would like you to deliver this message to Prince John." He handed over a letter with the Sheriff's seal. "Put it directly into the Prince's hand yourself." He moved in closer to Henry and said menacingly, "Or you will have me to contend with."

Henry took the message, stowed it in his saddle bag and rode off without another word. 'That bloody bastard,' he thought. 'God only knows what kind of trouble he will cause.'

The small entourage exited Nottingham Town and started their trek through Sherwood Forest. They traveled unmolested for an hour before they saw 4 men ranged across the road.

"Ho there!"

Henry raised a hand indicating that his troupe should stop.

"Hello young man," he smiled at the men. "What can I do for you today?"

"You can tell me who you are and what your business is in Sherwood!"

"We are simple travelers, young sir. We are making our way to London."

"Oh," the young man smiled at his compatriots, "and what do you carry?"

Sir Henry looked at the man, and grinned, "Why Master Hood, I carry nothing of interest to yourself."

Robin grinned back and bowed, "You have the advantage of me, sir."

Sir Henry jumped down from his horse. Robin's men adjusted to their fighting stance. Henry chuckled and held his hands up, "Now, there is no need for that. I mean you no harm. As a matter of fact, I think you may be able to help me."

Sir Henry approached Robin with his hand outstretched. "Sir Henry of Birtley. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Sir."

Robin looked askance at Henry, "Hardly a 'Sir' any longer. The Sheriff of Nottingham has seen to that quite well." He took Henry's hand and shook it. Robin had an innate sense that the man was trust worthy.

"Master! What are you doing?" Much was less inclined to be as trusting.

"Hold up there, Much. Let's see what the man has to say," Allan A-Dale stepped forward and put a hand to Much's arm.

"Is there somewhere safe that we can talk?" Henry asked.

"I have somewhere...but I would prefer that you not have weapons at the ready."

"Of course," Henry was anxious to put Robin completely at his ease. He turned to his men and said, "Give them your weapons." The guards looked from one to the other hesitantly. "C'mon! Do it!"

Swords, knives and quivers were handed over to Robin's men. Once the weapons were dealt with Robin led the group to a meeting place that was commonly used as a drop off point. The men ranged themselves on some logs set around a dead fire.

Henry took a few moments to arrange his thoughts, looking closely at each of the men in Robin Hood's troupe. Such a rag-tag group he had never seen. From the boyish looks of Robin, Much's mop cap topped blond hair, Allan's open grin to John Little's vastness he was curious how these men had ever become a cohesive, successful gang.