Chapter 25 - Departure

"Carson, you have long been a servant of King Richard," Sir Henry sat on a settee with Carson across from him in a wing chair and Richard standing at the dormant fireplace. "I know that you continue to do so. I think it only fair that you know about our reason for being here this season."

Carson kept his face impassive, "I am still loyal to King Richard. However, I must remind you that, like yourself, I am a servant of the crown. Regardless of who wears it, my duty is to England first."

Richard did not have the same trust in people that his father had. While he was an experienced negotiator, Henry was more inclined to take people at their word. Therefore, he stepped in, "Father, perhaps we should have Carson fill us in on what has been happening since we have been away."

Carson smiled. The boy was smart to be wary. "I assure you, Master Richard, I am well aware that Prince John is not good for the future of England." He stood up and walked lazily about the room. "We must be realistic; the likelihood of Richard returning is very low. I do not think it is possible to raise 100,000 pounds of silver for a ransom. The people love their king, but they do not love his war. Prince John is not interested in ruling this country; he is interested in the hunt and music and sex. Bartholomew is the real problem. John is his puppet and he will do whatever he has to in order to gain power."

Henry sat with that information for a few moments.

Richard chimed in, "I have noticed the way he walks around the castle as if it belongs to him. Catherine says that his whole retinue, save his daughter, are afraid of him."

"Your wife is very friendly with his wife, Rose." Carson looked thoughtfully at Richard, "It is too bad that she is only a woman." Richard could do naught but smile at the idea of Cat being "only a woman." If only Carson knew what she was capable of... "We need to take care of the problem."

Henry cleared his throat and spoke, "Carson, we have already started to take care of the problem." Carson halted and turned to Henry. "It is taking much longer than we had anticipated. Something needs to be done about Bartholomew's daughter."

"His daughter? What could Mathilda have to do with your plans?"

"She will not leave Catherine and Rose alone together." Carson looked confused.

"Catherine is an important part of our plans." Richard stood taller. Talking of Catherine and the risk she had taken in coming to London filled him with pride. "She has been trying to get close to Rose, with the hope of enlisting her help."

"Rose's help?"

"Yes. The closer Catherine can get to Rose, the closer she can get to Bartholomew and thus, closer to Prince John."

Carson sighed and shook his head, "There is no chance of that happening. Rose is a means to an ends for Bartholomew. Simply an heir producer. She has no influence whatsoever at court. Catherine would be better off getting close to Mathilda."

Richard looked aghast at his father and sat down, hard, into the wing chair.

"Are you sure, Carson?" Henry asked.

"Absolutely, my lord. I have not yet seen Rose in the presence of Prince John. Bartholomew would not let her within 10 feet of the prince. He is trying to entice John with Mathilda...although I can guarantee John would not even look at the woman."

"Curse it!" Richard pounded his fist on the arm of the chair. "We've put her in danger for nothing!"

"Surely not for nothing," Henry said. "She is a bright girl, I am sure she will find a way to ingratiate herself with Mathilda."