Chapter 30 - A Great Loss

The return trip from Birmingham was much faster. They left the cart behind and acquired a horse for Vincent. In 2 days they had returned. Archer made his way directly to the Great Hall with Vincent, the bruise on his forehead fading, following closely behind.

Archer burst through the door and hurried to Vaisey's chair. He knelt beside the throne, adopting an air of desolation and contrition.

"My Lord," he whispered. "My deepest regrets for the events. How can I make it up to you?"

"Archer! Archer, my boy..." Vaisey put a finger under Archer's chin and raised it, "I do not blame you." He rose from his chair and made a sweeping gesture. "I knew I should not have listened to that blathering idiot Murdstone." He put a hand to his chest. "But, in your absence, I have dealt with that."

Archer looked around and realised that Murdstone wasn't there. "My lord...?"

"Oh you should have seen it," Vaisey crowed with gaiety. "It was a most pleasing hanging."

"Hanging?" Archer swallowed and shared a horrified glance with Vincent. "You hanged him, sir?"

"But of course." Vaisey turned, smiled and resumed his seat. "I told him what would happen if there was any trouble on your journey." Archer paled. "What is wrong, my boy? I thought you would be pleased by the news. You are my new Master-at-Arms."

"Thank you, my lord," Archer mumbled.

"I expect you are tired after your journey. Go, get some rest," once again he rose from his seat. He attempted to put an arm around Archer's shoulder and guided him to the door. "Now, I will see you first thing in the morning. We have some exciting plans to make." He gave Archer a small shove through the door, smiled at him and rubbed his hands together.

"Yes, my lord," Archer and Vincent walked away from the Great Hall not knowing what to expect in the morning, but feeling full of regret.

"I never wanted him killed," Archer said with dejection.

"I know, sir. None of us wanted that." Vincent led his master to his room.

*****************************

The advantage to being Master-at-Arms was that he could choose his soldiers. As such, tax collecting went much smoother. Archer was cognizant that it was easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar. People were much more willing to co-operate when they were treated with respect. He also knew that he had to be very careful about his new process.

Robin had agreed to help by providing money to the villagers for their taxes.

They met one day on the edge of the forest near Locksley village. "Archer, I don't know how much longer I can provide money. There hasn't been much traffic on the roads and our cache is dwindling."

Archer clapped a hand to Robin's shoulder, "I appreciate all that you have been doing." He sighed and looked up at the sky, "I am sure this will all be over soon."

"Have you heard from Lord Bingham?"

"No. I was hoping that Yardley-"

"Yardley? Yardley, the tinker?"

"Yes. He went north some weeks ago to deliver a message to Lord Bingham. I was hoping he would be returning by now with news."

"Well, Yardley is a good man. He will do whatever he can to ensure this is carried out. However, sometimes he does not come back through this way."

Archer swung his head around, "What do you mean?"

Robin shrugged and shook his head.

"I was counting on hearing what was going on." Archer started to pace, "Dammit!" He slammed one fist into the palm of his other hand. "How the hell am I supposed to do this without being informed?"