Chapter 12 - The Charges

The next day the sergeant-at-arms came to the dungeon. "You and you," he said, pointing at Genie and Guy. "Yer comin' wit' me."

He unlocked the cell and unceremoniously pulled the 2 captives out.

"Genie!" Anne called out. Guy looked at her and made a gesture to indicate that they would be fine.

Guy and Genie were led up to the Great Hall. Arranged in the hall were tables forming a U shape, with Lord Bingham at the head. Seated to his left was the town Sheriff, Master Canning; on his right was Albert Dewey. The remaining seats were occupied by minor nobles and landowners of the district.

Lord Bingham stood once the 2 were led into the assembly and positioned in front of him. "Guy of Gisborne, you are charged on behalf of King Richard with high treason. You are a known member of the black knights and have committed innumerable atrocities."

Guy kept his face impassive, and said, "Yes, my lord."

Bingham was surprised by Gisborne's response. He cocked his head to the side and looked at him. He noted that Guy was not wearing his trademark leathers, nor did he have his usual look of disdain on his face. The tiny woman beside him looked terrified. She was looking around the Great Hall as though she had never seen a room as grand before.

It was a grand room. Colourful tapestries adorned the walls; behind the dais were a bank of stained glass windows which lit the room playfully. It was a warm and inviting space.

Bingham turned to Albert and asked, "Bailiff Dewey, your testimony to myself and the other lords indicated that the altercation was caused by Gisborne's refusal to be taken peaceably by your guards." Upon hearing his name Genie's face turned ashen.

"My lord, my companions and I are simply trying to find Miss Genie's uncle." He nodded toward the girl. "I have, in the past, behaved heinously toward the people of Nottinghamshire. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions."

Genie cut in, "Guy! No!"

He turned to her and said, "Genie, the things that I have done are too terrific to forgive." He turned back to Lord Bingham, "I ask that you let my friends go. They have nothing to do with my past."

"They may have nothing to do with your past, however they are charged with the mutilation and murder of 10 of Prince John's guards, Lord Whitten's men and guards of the castle of Nottingham." He raised an eyebrow, "I'd say almost as bad a past as your own, Sir Guy."

Guy looked at Genie, mouthed '10 guards' and gave her a brief grin.

Lord Bingham's hand slammed down onto the table. "This is not a laughing matter, Gisborne!" He sat in his chair, "Do either of you have anything to say in your defense?"

"No, my lord," said Guy.

Genie started to speak, but Guy halted her by saying, "Don't say anything Genie...they won't believe you."

She looked at him gratefully, "I have to try, Guy." She turned back toward the men on the raised dais, focusing her attention on the bailiff. "My lords, my name is Eugenie Tanner." Dewey gasped. "My friends and I have travelled a long way via Norwich and Nottingham. We have been trying to get here, to Sunderland. Our village was attacked by soldiers of Prince John while everyone was in the hall celebrating the wedding of our friend Anne." She held her head high, "They murdered our entire village, except for the 7 of us that got away."

Bingham interrupted her, "Are you speaking of Stradbroke?" Albert Dewey was not looking at Genie, he sat with his head in his hands and quietly groaned.

"Yes, my lord. There were 7 of us who managed to get out of the hall before it was set aflame. We armed ourselves and tried to save our fellow villagers, unfortunately we did not. We defeated the soldiers and run off the remainder. When the soldiers entered the hall they shouted 'In the name of Lord Bartholomew and Prince John.'"

"Are you sure that is what they said?"

"Yes, my lord, it is exactly what they said. We made our way to Norwich, however on our way our friend Brittany died from the shock. The sheriff at Norwich put us in the dungeon when we told him that Prince John was involved. He kept us there for 12 days before he sent us off with the Prince's guards to London." Genie took a deep breath, trying unsuccessfully to prevent the tears from streaming down her face. "On the third night of that journey," she put a hand to her mouth to hold back her sobs, "the guards raped 4 of the girls. All 10 took turns, they whipped them and beat them. The screams..."

"They didn't harm you?"

"No, not myself or Anne; you see my lord, we are married women, not maids." Dewey was openly weeping. Bingham looked at him, confused. However, Lord Bingham was a compassionate man. As he listened to the tale he could not help but be moved.

"As for Lord Whitten sir, we twice found him and his henchmen robbing simple travelers. They confronted us on the road after we had driven them off. In that instance we were simply defending ourselves."

"How did you come to be in the company of this...man?"

She grinned, "3 of our girls took Whitten and his man to Nottingham in an attempt to bring them to justice. I reckon the sheriff and Lord Whitten are friends," Guy nodded, "and they imprisoned our girls instead. Anne and I took Guy as a hostage but he helped us to get the girls."

"Gisborne helped you?" Lord Bingham said incredulously.

Genie smiled, "Sir Guy of Gisborne has been a very great help. Initially we had him as a captive but we have taken him in as one of us." Genie could not prevent herself from looking up at Guy, her face open and guileless. "I know, without a doubt, that he truly repents his actions with Vaisey."

Without a word, Dewey rose from his seat and made his way to stand in front of Genie. He knelt in front of her, still sobbing. "Oh uncle," she said as she crouched in front of him. The nobles all gasped. "I did not know who you were on the road." She wrapped her arms around him, "If only I did, we could have saved 2 lives."

Dewey took Genie's face in his hands, "Oh lass, I haven't seen you since you were a wee thing and I was but a child. You have the look of your mother...I should have seen it." He blanched, "I feared that you and your father had perished in Stradbroke. But my brother...he is dead?" Genie nodded. "Lass, I am so sorry." He hugged Genie as if he would never let go.

"Gentlemen, we must make a judgement. Guards please return the prisoners to their cell."

"My Lord, please-" Dewey tried to argue for his niece.

"Albert, I know she is your niece," Lord Bingham raised an eyebrow. "However, we must still follow procedure." Dewey nodded, gave Genie another brief hug and returned to his chair.