Chapter 32 - Midsummer pt 2

The demonstration between Arthur and his uncle was scheduled to take place just before the tournament halted for the mid-day meal. A smaller roped off area was set-up in front of the grandstand. The crowds gathered around, with many unable to even see the event.

Lady Constance was worrying her hands as Catherine got Arthur ready. "Are you sure he will be alright?" She was pacing back and forth. "You don't think John will try anything, do you?"

Catherine grinned up at Constance, "In front of all these people?" She stood up and took the woman's hands. "The people love Arthur, I am sure even Prince John would not be stupid enough to do him harm in front of them."

"You must be correct," Constance nodded.

Catherine returned to adjusting the padding that Arthur was wearing. An undershirt had been constructed for Arthur and the Prince made up of layer upon layer of linen covered in a sturdy layer of leather in order to protect from hits. No stabbing actions were permitted, so it was deemed to be sufficient protection.

Meanwhile, in Prince John's tent, Whitten was attempting to tell him about Catherine.

"Wayfarers?" John looked at Whitten as if he was crazy. "Lady Catherine is a wayfarer? Nonsense." His entourage laughed along with him.

"It is true, my lord. I distinctly remember pushing THAT woman from her horse!"

Prince John was disinclined to believe him. At that moment Guy entered the tent. Whitten's eyes went wide with shock. "Gisborne!"

Guy stopped, angled his head, smirked and said, "Whitten. What are you doing here?"

"That is Lord Whitten, to you!" Guy's smirk deepened. "Tell his majesty!" Whitten was gesticulating, "Tell him about that Catherine woman."

Guy was enjoying playing with Whitten, "What Catherine woman?"

"Richard of Birtley's tart!" A shadow crossed Guy's face; it took much of his control not to cut the man down right there and then.

"Lady Catherine? I'm afraid I don't know much about her," Guy added "sir" with a sneer. "I believe she comes from somewhere up north, isn't that right your highness?"

Prince John was too busy primping before his performance to be paying much attention, "Huh? Oh yes," he gestured into the air, "somewhere up there." He turned away, "Now, can we make this," he held up the padding, "look good under my tunic?"

The interview was cut short by the bugler's call for the demonstration.

Prince John looked at Bartholomew, who was sitting in a corner of the tent nursing a gash in his leg, and smiled, "Shall we see what your lessons have wrought with my little nephew?"

Bartholomew laughed, "Indeed, my lord. It should be quite the spectacle." He attempted to rise from his chair, but was unable to as a result of his injured leg. "Rose!" he shouted at his wife, "Get over here and help me!"

Rose jumped from her seat and rushed over to help her husband. Mathilda followed along behind and put an arm around her father to help from the other side. "Really Mama, you need to be more accommodating to father. He should not have to call for you to help!"

Rose simply nodded and bore the weight of her husband. "Mathilda, my beautiful girl, you always have your Papa's comfort in mind. I don't know what I should do without you."

They took their seats in the stands, along with the other nobles. As Catherine passed them she caught the eye of Rose and inclined her head to indicate that Rose should go with her. She continued past and took a seat with Richard and Sir Henry. After a few moments, Rose left her seat and walked toward the refreshment tent. Catherine followed.