Chapter 36 - Into the Tunnels

Archer sat in the corner of his cell. He was bored. Not accustomed to sitting still so long, he decided that he would amuse himself by making up stories in his head. He was engrossed in one of his cerebral adventures when the tell-tale scraping of the cell door roused him.

"So, my Master-at-Arms, are you enjoying your stay?"

"Food could be better," Archer grumbled. "Or food at all."

The sheriff laughed and motioned the jailor to haul Archer to his feet. "We are going to play a little game now. A little game of tell me what is going on." He stepped close to Archer, "I want to know who you are, and what you are doing here."

"You know who I am," Archer shrugged, "I'm Archer. I was going to kill the prince before you offered me a better opportunity."

"Hmmmm, I don't believe you."

"C'mon! What's not to believe?"

Vaisey inclined his head and the jailor tugged on the chain attached to Archer's shackles. He was dragged to a large room located near the cells. A small flicker of panic started in Archer's belly when he saw the torture implements.

The jailor undid the shackles and immediately bound Archer's wrists with rough rope. The tail of the rope was fed through a mechanism that pulled it taut, stretching the person. His ankles were bound and secured to a hasp in the floor.

"Give him a demonstration," the sheriff sneered.

The jailor turned a gear which caused the rope to pull; Archer grit his teeth.

"Now that you know what to expect," the sheriff said softly. "I expect answers!!" He shouted, spittle flying. "Who are you working with?"

Archer did not answer, the sheriff nodded at the jailor and the rope tightened.

"Where is Guy of Gisborne?"

"Where is my flame thrower, my byzantine fire?"

Question after question he asked, with no response from Archer until he was stretched so that his feet were no longer on the floor, but suspended in space, held only by the hasp.

With a shout of rage the sheriff said, "Take him down." The jailor loosened the gear, resulting in Archer tumbling to the floor. "Don't kill him you buffoon!"

Archer was returned to the cell, a piece of moldy bread thrown in after him.

This was the worst pain he had ever experienced. He rolled onto his back, sucking air in through his teeth. He attempted to sit up, but decided he would be better off where he was. "Bastards!" he said to himself.

****************************

Guy paced around the Major Oak. He had been to Locksley and gathered up the strongest of the men. They were armed with pick axes, scythes and pitchforks. He sighed, it was the best they could come up with.

After another 15 minutes of pacing, Robin entered the shade of the oak along with his gang.

"Finally!" Guy huffed.

"You've only got 10 men!" Robin said accusingly.

"Have you seen the state of the men in the villages? They can barely attend their work!"

Robin thrust a finger in Guy's face, "You need to step up and-"

"Step up? Step up! I killed Prince John!" The group gasped. "What else do you want from me?"

At this point, Allan stepped in between the men, a hand on each chest. "We are here to get Archer, are we not?" The 2 men nodded. "Then let's get that done and then you can kill each other."