8.

Charles' POV-

I finally close my laptop, shutting away the negativity and the ugliness of the world.

All I had to do was sign over files I thought needed to be handled by the FBI. However, just doing that made me see what's happening out there.

"Babe?" I hear Hadley's sweet voice from behind me.

"Yes?" I turn in my seat to look at her.

"Did you see stuff again?"

She asks because when she was younger and I got case that mentally fucked me, she'd ask what happened. I'd just reply with 'I saw stuff.'

"Yeah," I sigh and give a small, pathetic laugh.

"You know if you need anyone to talk to, I'm the person. I know what that's like," she walks to me and kisses my cheek.

"Yeah I know," I respond.

"Good," she smiles and kisses my forehead.

What does she mean though? Now that I'm thinking about it; I was never told what she studied in college.

"Hadley?" I ask as she pulls some strawberries from the fridge.

"Yeah?" She responds, her back still facing me as she pulls some sugar and a bowl from the cabinet above her.

"What did you go to school for?" I ask.

"Oh... criminal investigation," she responds with a slight laugh.

"Really? Following in your father's footsteps?"

"Not exactly," she shakes her head.

"Then why?" I pry, knowing that she used to be dead set on being a fashion designer.

"Remember Carlton?" She asks randomly.

I smile, remembering her best friend from 3rd grade. His blonde hair and crooked teeth.

"Yeah I remember him," I answer.

"Well," she clear her throats and looks at the counter, "5 years ago they found his body. He had been raped and had his throat slit."

"Oh my god," that's all I can say.

"They never found who did it," her eyebrows cinch together, "he was my bestfriend for as long as I can remember. I needed to find who did this. And how someone could do this. So that's where my criminal investigation obsession started."

"Did you ever figure it out?" I ask as I stare at her.

"Yeah," she grips the edge of the counter, "we arrested Mr. Jameson 2 years after I started."

"Wait," I look at her with confusion showing, "Mr. Rob Jameson?"

She nods.

"The man that babysat me and Carlton. The man we invited to parties and cookouts. The man who gave me rides home from school."

I feel nauseous.

"The man I thanked everyday for working so hard," I speak softly.

She looks up at me, "I thought my obsession with these people would stop after he was put away... it didn't," she states flatly.

"Who do you work for?"

She walks to her bag with a sigh and pulls out what look like a wallet. She opens it and I read it carefully.

HADLEY C. TRAIT. FBI. BEHAVIORAL ANALYSIS.

"FBI?"

She lets out a small sigh/laugh, "yeah. FBI."

"Dang," I stand and kiss her cheek, "and I thought I was badass."

She lets out a 'shut the fuck up' laugh and pushes my shoulder.

"So you see stuff too?"

"Charlie. This sounds like some 'I see dead people' kinda thing."

"Well," I grin, "we kinda do."

I receive a smack to the shoulder as Hadley tries to hide her amusement.

"I'm sorry," I finally speak up, "about Carlton."

She lets a a sad smile poke through, "me too."

Her green eyes lock me in place as her smile fades. There's a small flicker of sadness throughout her face before she finally clears her throat.

"Still!" She exclaims, "I'm obsessed now. I have to know what makes these people tick. What's going on in their brains. They're twisted and I want to know why."

I shrug and raise my eyebrows, "sometimes people are just fucked up."

She smiles again and dips a strawberry into her sugar before popping it into her mouth, "maybe."

I give a small side smile and usher her to me. She shuffles to me with a childish smile and stands between my legs.

I press my lips on hers and she kisses me back sweetly. She pulls back from me and places her hands on my cheeks.

"I uh," she chews on her lip, "uhm. I."

I raise my eyebrow and watch as she squeezes her eyes closed.

She sighs and puts her forehead on mine.

"I love you," she whispers.

I know I love her. But at the same time I know that if I say it back, it's real.

"I uh," I stand from my spot and back up, "I need to go running."

Her face, her expression, it hurts. She looks confused and sad and lost all at once.

"I'll be back," I pull on my hoodie, "I just. Need to go."

She runs a hand through her hair and walks back towards her room.

"Sorry," she squeaks as I walk out the door.