52.

As I make my way back into the house I walk quickly to the kitchen for a glass of water. I see Hadley sitting at the bar with a glass of wine. She slowly spins her engagement ring on the countertop.

"Hey," I say nonchalantly.

"What'd you say?" She asks without making eye contact.

"What?" I ask as I put ice in my glass.

"To Bri," She deadpans.

"Why?" I ask skeptically as I pour water into it.

"She cane in here all pissed off," she gulps down her wine before pouring another glass full, "and packed up her clothes and left."

"I don't want to talk about it," I answer as I have my back to her.

"I just need to know," I turn to face her as she speaks softly, "Did you cheat on me?"

"What?" I ask as I set my glass down, "no."

"Did you sleep with her?" She asks as she stops spinning her ring and her puffy eyes meet mine.

"Not consciously," I respond quietly.

"What?" Her face pales.

"I really don't want to talk about it," I shake my head.

"I thought you didn't know her. I need the fvcking details Charles."

"Fine," I aggressively set my cup down on the counter, "you want the fvcking story?"

She looks up at me raises her eyebrow, "start talking."

"I went to the bar after Andrea and I split. I was going on a bender. I saw Brielle working. She started talking to me. Then I got really dizzy. I blacked out and when I woke up, she was naked and riding me."

"I'm going to be sick," she runs her hand through her hair.

"Yeah," I squeeze my eyes shut, "she fucking took advantage of me after dragging me. She did that almost every day for three weeks."

"How'd you get her to stop?"

"I screamed," I shrug, "I just started screaming the the apartment next to hers called the police.

"Did you press charges?" She asks softly.

"I did at first," I sigh, "but that manipulative bitch talked me out of it."

Hadley starts crying with her head in her hands.

"And you let her fucking stay here?" She asks.

"What was I supposed to do?"

"Tell me she raped you!" She shouts.

"You think I want to admit that this happened to me? You think I didn't feel humiliated from being used as a toy?"

"That's what I mean!" She screams.

"Then what?" I shout back, "what? You want me to scream at the top of my lungs that she raped me?"

"She was in this house," she speaks lower, "with our baby."

"I thought she changed."

"Why'd you think that?"

"She told me she did," I grumble, "I didn't want to stress you out with the engagement and the pregnancy then your mom, then your dad."

"Okay," She whispers.

"Okay?"

"Yes," She resounds and walks around the bar before slightly stumbling in front of me, "I'm sorry. I didn't know that this happened to you. I should've heard you out before jumping to conclusions."

"Thank you," I sigh as I reach past her. I grab her ring off the counter and pull her hand up, "still wanna marry this ball of 'fvcked up'?"

She smiles weakly as I slide it on her finger, "Yes. Lets go to sleep."

I nod and stop at the couch, "I'm going to sleep down here for the night."

"Oh," she answers softly, "why?"

"I don't know," I shrug, "I won't be able to sleep for a while and I don't want to keep you up."

She shakes her head slightly, "no. Come to bed."

"Are you sure?"

She nods as we make our way slowly up the stairs and past the nursery. We open our door slowly and as I change my clothes she slips under the covers and turns off her lamp. I quickly make my way in behind her. She backs up into me and I wrap myself around her. She sighs and rubs my arm.

"I love you," she whispers.

"I love you," I whisper against her neck.

Soon she drifts off to sleep. A few hours later I follow suit and drift into a much needed sleep.