49.

*2 months later*
Hadley's POV-

"Baby!" I shout as I wipe my hands on the towel next to the kitchen sink. I get no response.

"Charlie?" I call as I walk out of the kitchen and   turn to the stairs. No response.

"Babe?" I question as I make my way up the stairs, my hand gliding on the rail as I make my way up.

I start feeling a little nervous as I hear Eli crying and am still receiving no response from my fiancé.

I turn towards the hall with the bedrooms and find Charlie standing in the middle of the hall, staring into the nursery.

"Babe?" I ask once more before he slowly raises his hand to me, not taking his eyes from the door.

"Michael," he speaks quietly, "get Michael."

I rush down the stairs as quickly as I can and run to the garage. When I see Michael unloading a bag from his truck I run to him and he catches onto my arm.

"Charles told me to get you," I speak breathlessly, "I think it's something serious."

"Where is he?"

Before anything else is said we hear a deafening bang come from the house.

"Get in the car," he answers as I run in behind him quickly.

"Hadley," he warns as he slows down to grab me.

"That's my fucking child up there," I respond as I push him to the stairs, "go!"

He runs effortlessly up the stairs. I follow quickly behind and see my blood covered fiancé against the wall, standing and breathing rapidly.

"Get the baby!" I yell as Michael runs into the nursery and grabs the screaming bundle of blankets. I stand in front of Charles and he just stares at me. His eyes clouded with tears. I start to turn to grab Eli. Charlie grips onto my shoulders.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers and the tears start slowly streaming, "I'm so sorry. Don't look in there."

I ignore his warning and turn to see my father's lifeless body on the floor with a knife and a pool of blood around him. I look at the floor and see a gun laying by Charlie's feet. I feel the room spinning and hold onto the wall. I feel the sudden sickness in my body as I throw up everything I've ever eaten onto the floor.

I see Michael carry Eli down the stairs as I reach for them before throwing up more.

"Come on," Charlie holds onto my arm as he guides me to the bedroom.

"Eli," I mumble as I only think of him.

"He's okay. He's safe now," He whispers as I realize were standing in the bathroom and he's running a shower.

"You're in shock," he whispers as he removes my clothing, leaving me standing naked and unmoving.

He follows suit and he steps us into the shower.

As soon as the water hits my skin every clear thought I could imagine comes crashing into my skull.

"Did you kill him?" I whisper as I stare at him.

He still looks lost, almost zombified.

"Yes," he responds as he looks down at me.

I feel the tears in my eyes and the burning in my throat.

"Did," I stutter, "Did he hurt Eli."

"No," he responds, "I heard Eli cry and I went in to get him. Mike was standing there with a knife over the crib. He stared at me and I was afraid he'd hurt him if I moved. He picked the knife up and held it over the crib. That's when I shot."

He tells me the horrific story while staring blankly at me. The only signs of life are his breaths and tears.

"I didn't think he was dead. I tried to pick him up," the tears start flowing more rapidly.

"I'm so sorry," he cries louder, "I'm so so sorry."

He buries his face in my neck as he sobs. We soon find ourselves sliding down the cold tile wall onto the floor. We both just cry against each other. Knowing that Eli is safe with Michael and that he's unharmed is the only thing keeping me from falling apart completely.

"You were protecting our child," I whisper through the cries.

"He was your father," he pulls his face back and looks at me.

"No," I shake my head and let another round of tears flood, "that was the shell of my father. That wasn't him. That was someone who wanted to hurt me and my child. Someone who called me a whore for having said child. Someone who could've killed that child." I shake my head again and place my forehead on his, "I'm so sorry you had to be the one to do that."

We both continue our overwhelming cries as we hold each other on the shower floor.