21

"How'd your dad take it?" Anthony asks Hadley.

I scoff and instinctively hold the bridge of my nose.

"Damn," he says knowingly before looking down.

Hadley excuses herself and goes to the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water and opening her laptop on the island before moving back to the kitchen counter, and grabs a pack of Gushers.

"How do we even have Gushers?" I ask the overgrown child standing in my kitchen. Anthony just smiles.

"I waited until you went for your run, went to Dollar Tree in my pajamas and bought junk food." She says all of this without even glancing up from her computer screen.

Anthony now laughs, "you better marry her."

We both laugh.

"So why're you here Ant?" I ask as I tidy up the magazines and books on the coffee table.

"I know this isn't what you'd want to hear," he sighs, "but I'm in a bad spot."

"You need money," I say, "of course."

"Can we not have this fight again?" He asks and I see Hadley slightly stiffen as she leans in closer to her screen.

"I'll give you two grand in the morning," I shake my head, "this is the last time I swear to God. I'm assuming you also need a place to stay. You can have the couch tonight, then you're gone."

"Honestly, Char... thank you," Anthony leans in to hug me.

"Don't," I push him back and walk to the kitchen, "if I hear or see that this was for a rebound to meth I swear to God... I will never speak to you again."

He swallows and stares at the floor, "okay."

Hadley grabs my arm and points at her screen, angrily.

"Billionaire Playboy Fully Inherits Deceased Father's Wealth," and "Mr. Hyde And New Love Interest... See Latest Pictures."

She clicks on it and my face pops up followed by a picture of her leaving my apartment building for the gym.

"Billionaire playboy?!"

I rub my neck nervously and smiles shyly.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I whisper.

"Oh why would it be important? Not like I needed to know my boyfriend's famous and I'm gonna be in the spotlight. That's totally cool."

I roll my eyes and pull her into entryway, out of earshot of my brother.

"I didn't think it was important because it's not a part of my life I like putting out there. I fully intended on staying out of the limelight of the family's business and wealth."

"So then what changed?" She eyes me up down.

"Well," I try not to sound too sarcastic, "you did just read where it says my father died and the wealth got passed down, right? Sorry babe but the grim reaper doesn't wait on people's convenience."

She heavy sighs and punches the bridge of her nose, "don't need the sarcasm."

"Honestly," I open my hands in defeat, "I don't need to be judged because of my family's wealth. I'm sorry my dad died, is that what you'd like to hear?"

"Obviously not you dickhead," she pushes my chest, "I just wish you had been honest with me in the first place."

"Understandable but it's not like I have a secret wife and kids in Indonesia. I think you need to calm down."

"Shut up," she fake scowls and looks down to hide the threatening smile.

I smile and shake my head, "so we good?"

"Yeah," she sighs, "I'll just have to look my best to go on junk food runs now. Awesome."

"You don't have to look your best," I smile and kiss her head, "I don't want anyone else looking at you like I do," I whisper.

"Nobody else looks at me like a beast," she smiles back, "so I think you're covered."

I smile as she pecks my lip and heads to our room. I follow suit, walking past my napping brother. He has the right idea. Hadley and I crawl into the bed as she intertwines herself into me and we quickly drift off into a much appreciated nap.

——- I know it's not much but I figured anything was better than nothing. I hoped everyone had a Merry Christmas or happy holidays and I'm very sorry for not updating more often 🖤 - Ash