𝐎𝐍𝐄

CHAPTER ONE | I'LL REMEMBER 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

EVELYN AUSTIN LAID WITHIN A SLUMBER OF STILLNESS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Coincidentally, it was the exact same backstreet road that Damon used to go to when he had an existential crisis of his own to work through. The Austin vampire was not entirely sure why she always ended up on that same road, but she didn't care enough to question its relevancy.

As she laid there with her eyes fixed up to the sky, her eyes glazed over as she dared herself not to blink. It was a game she loved to play at night when she laid there with nothing around her but the stillness of the night. Every time she blinked— something had changed. Maybe the moon was a little brighter or the air was a little colder, but the one thing that Evelyn Austin hated above all was change. So, she made sure there was none.

The brunette felt her eyes begin to burn, desperate to blink as the sound of a car approached in the distance. With a smirk on her lips and a hunger in her veins, she felt the headlights of the vehicle illuminated her lifeless body that was lying down in the middle of the road, right in between the white lines. A hysterical woman jumped out of the driver's side of the car and ran straight for Evelyn, whose eyes remained fixed on the sky above.

"Are you hurt? Please tell me I didn't hit you!" The young woman rambled on breathlessly. She persisted to assume that she was the reason the brunette was laying down in the road. "Oh my, God. I didn't hit you, did I?"

"Even if you did, it wouldn't hurt," Evelyn spoke in a monotone voice as her eyes continued to burn with desperation. Then, she blinked. "Nothing hurts me anymore. Nothing."

"Look, I'm gonna call an ambulance or the cops. Or, maybe both. Just wait, right here, okay?" She jogged back over to her car and lunged her hand through the open window to grab her phone. Just as she turned herself back around, she came face-to-face with Evelyn, who had an unreadable expression across her face.

"God, you scared me." She spoke in a flustered tone but began to emit a soft laugh out of awkwardness to mask her growing fear.

"What does that feel like? Being scared, I mean." Evelyn shrugged, then she began to carefully walk across the white lines in the middle of the road. "I haven't felt anything like that in a really long time, and I gotta say, it's the most liberating thing ever. I'm free, don't you wanna be free, too?"

"Uh—" The young woman fearfully stuttered. Adrenalin ran through her veins as she attempted to swing her car door open, but she was no match for Evelyn's vampire speed. She slammed the door shut before the woman could even get back inside.

"Well, that was kind of stupid, wasn't it?" Evelyn rolled her eyes, then began to compel her victim. "Don't move, don't run. Just do what I say. Now, what's your name?"