Chapter Four

"Mé, before you go, can you serve the bar coffee one more time?"

"Sure, Ma." Padmé grabbed the pot from the back counter then walked down the line, filling up any cup that wasn't full. "Thanks, Padmé." One of the patrons called, raising his glass towards her. "No problem, Dexter!" She smiled over her shoulder, pouring a glass for another customer. Her brown eyes scanned the bar, seeing no more coffee's to top off. Satisfied with what she saw, she put the coffee pot back and went into the kitchen. "Alright, Mom, I'm going. What night are we closing to speak with Vader?"

"How about we'll have lunch on Wednesday, hmm? I'll just close for the afternoon, we can reopen for dinner." Jobal commented, stirring a pitcher of tea. "Okay. So last chance: are you for sure okay with me taking this job?" Padmé peeled off her apron, leaving her in a pair of tight, light-wash denim shorts and her favorite lacy, black crop top. "Yes, Mé, it's fine. I'm assuming that you'll probably start tonight?" Her mother turned around, watching her daughter redo her high ponytail. "I'm not totally sure, he may just show me the club and help me figure out my routine there - like he's training me." She sighed in relief, having flipped her head over to gather her curls. "I'm not gonna know until I get there though. If I don't come straight back here after signing with him, just assume I have to work tonight, okay?" She secured her long hair with a thick elastic., feeling her mother come thru and give her a once over. "Alright... Tell that boy I need you home between midnight and one-hundred just for tonight, okay? We've got Sunday brunch to make in the morning and I need you here."

"I'll tell him, I love you." Padmé nodded, giving her mother a kiss on her cheek. "I love you too, sweetheart. Be safe..." With that, Jobal grabbed the pitcher of tea she'd been working on and headed back onto the floor. After giving herself a final once over, Padmé hurried upstairs and changed her shoes. As soon as she had on the black pumps, the soon-to-be club singer hurried out of the apartment and through the diner. "Good luck, Mé!" Dexter called, raising his glass as she passed by. A few of the other regular customers in the space raised their glasses towards her and wished her congratulations or good luck. She just waved to them and backed out of her mother's establishment with a smile on her face. Once she was outside, she began the long trek to The Temple.

~

"What's taking her so long?" Vader muttered to himself, pacing in the main room of his club. He looked around at the space, analyzing the recent renovations that had been made.

From the ceiling hung a trio of glass chandeliers, the middle one being a bit wider and covering more space. The walls of the dance floor had been repainted a fresh coat of crimson red, the walls under the second-level balcony overlook a matte slate gray with silver accents. (The third, fourth and fifth balcony levels mirrored it, all the railing on the upper four stories a black iron.) The floors were mostly shining black tile, the actual dance floor being a deep red wood. The DJ and performing stage were made out of dura-steel and glass, adding a different element to that area. The main bars were made out of wood counters, glass shelving, and reflective backsplash. There were leather sitting areas on one side of the dance floor and actual tables on the other side.

"Wow, this place looks amazing..."

Vader whipped around, seeing Padmé standing there. "You're twenty minutes late." He sighed in relief, walking down the stage's side stairs. "Well, I had to walk here so I do apologize for my tardiness. I hate to say it but it'll probably happen again." She was teasing on the latter, watching him come closer. "I'm just glad I didn't have to go find you in an alley again." He smiled softly, leaning down to embrace her. "Why didn't you just fly here or something?" She rolled her eyes, a smile on her face as she pulled away. "Not everyone has a badass swoop bike at their disposal." He shook his head ever so slightly before offering Padmé his arm. "Right... Well, are you ready to sign - assuming things went well with your mother?"