Chapter Twenty

Vader gave his favorite songbird the week off, determined to make his house their home. During the day, the couple spent time cleaning the residence and reorganizing. While she found no problem with the current furnishings, Padmé was tasked with helping pick out new couches and other pieces for all over the place. Of the twelve bedrooms (other than his,) they agreed that six would be made up into guest rooms - one of which would serve as a separate bedroom should Padmé decide she wants her own space. One of the final five would also be a vanity/closet room for her and deemed off limits to the singer by her beau until it was complete. The last few rooms would be turned into an office for the club-owner, a gym with updated equipment, a studio with the best audio equipment credits could buy, and a dance room with a mirror wall.

"Ya know, I never thought you'd be the handyman type." Padmé came downstairs, seeing her boyfriend working on repainting the foyer. "I'm a man of many talents, babygirl." Vader grabbed a dry roller and tossed it in her direction. "How's about you help me by starting on that other wall? I've just gotta work on the edges and this side's done." She nodded, getting to work; a smile bloomed on her face as she saw the color. "I really like this gray color, I'm glad we picked this shade instead of the darker one." The Sith looked at the paint tray, shrugging as he re-dipped his brush. "Eh, just trying to spruce it up a bit." He nodded, getting down on his knees to go along the lower baseboard. "I think after we replace the chandelier, most of the first floor's done." His eyes glanced over at her, watching her paint even strokes. "Have you done this before? Painting walls, I mean." Padmé turned around a slight look of nostalgia dancing in her eyes. "I helped Mom paint the murals in the diner... It took us weeks to finally finish, but it was so worth it." She sighed, turning back around. "Now it's gone."

"Hey." Vader got up, tossing the paintbrush onto a tarp. "I promise you... we're doing everything in our power to find out who ordered the strike." Padmé dropped her roller into the paint tray, crossing her arms. "It doesn't matter who did it; even if you find out, it's not like the diner can be brought back. It's nothing but ashes now, leave it be." Her beau sighed, his hands meeting the sides of her face. "Hey, it's okay to be upset... You don't have to be brave for me." He gave her a sad smile, bringing the petite Nubian into an embrace. "I'm alright... I just worry about my mom. We not only lost our home but our main jobs as well." She tilted her head back, chin against his chest. "I may have another job, but my mom's out of it... I've been so busy with you here, I need to go see her today." He nodded, kissing her forehead. "How's about we invite her over for lunch?"

"She'll probably insist on Ben and Pop coming with her... What's your stance on that?"

"As I told them the night of the fire, they can come over as well." The Sith assured, looking to the unpainted wall. "Come on, the sooner we finish, the sooner they can come over." They broke apart after a short kiss, the two of them rather eager to take a break from the renovations.

~

"This home is absolutely breathtaking, Vader."

Jobal looked around the elegant home, immensely impressed by the young man's estate. "Thank you, Miss Thule... I have to say, Padmé's been a huge help. A week ago, this place was dated and not company-ready." Vader smirked, leaning against the mantle in the living area. "The place just needed her touch... It feels like a home again."

"You give me far too much credit, babe." The songstress blushed, curled up on one of the couches beside her mother. "I actually agree with him, Tweety Bird," Ben spoke up, both he and his father relaxing on the sofa opposite of theirs. "This place never looked so polished, even back in the day." He noticed the Sith looking uncomfortable, deciding to change the subject. "How's living here been, Mé?"

"Wonderful." She smiled softly, feeling her mother slip a hand into hers. "I've missed being with you, Mom, but it's been amazing here. I honestly think the renovations have been helping me cope with everything... Plus, being with Vader all the time almost feels natural now. I really like living with him." Her brown eyes shifted to her beau, seeing a soft smile grace his lips. "I feel the same about Pop. Speaking of, we had something we wanted to tell you..." Jobal looked over at him, his green eyes already on her.