Twist of Events - #15

A/N: The following contains sensitive topics such as depression, self-harm and suicide, and also this fic ships female X female and contains strong language, suicide and abuse, so if you have a problem with that then you may want to click off this story. You have been warned.

Luka's PoV

Miku was absent from school the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that. Everyday after school I would send her a text message asking her where she is, but she hasn't seen or replied to any of them, and I'm starting to get really worried.

Eventually, that Friday, I decided enough was enough. As soon as the bell went to signal the end of the day, I rushed out of the room and off the school campus.

I've never been to Miku's house before, but she's told me her address, in case of emergencies. Her house is pretty close to mine, so it didn't take too long to find it.

As I approach the building, I notice that all of the lights were turned off, and there was no car on the driveway. Most of the curtains were closed, blocking out the weak sunlight.

That's odd... I think to myself as I walk up to the front door. After a momemts hesitation, I hold my breath and gently knock on the door.

Slowly, the door creeks open, and with a start I realise it was never locked. Soundlessly, I take a step into the building and look around the otherwise dark room.

"Miku?" I call into the silence. No response. "Miku, are you here...?" I call again, my voice softer this time. Again, there's no response.

A sigh escapes my lips as panic rises within me, and possibilities begin to race through my mind. These thoughts come crashing to halt, however, when I hear the faint sound of someone crying.

I slowly walk up the staircase, following the source of the sound. My eyes slowly adjust to the darkness as I reach the top of the staircase, and I glance around at all the closed doors.

I approach one of the doors and press my ear to it. The sobbing from before is louder now, and that's enough to tell me that this is Miku's room.

"Miku?" I gently knock on the bedroom door. "It's Luka..."

"L-Luka..?" I hear Miku choke out my name. "Wh..what are you-" Her sentence is cut off by violent coughing. I bite my lip, before taking a deep breath and responding.

"I came to check on you. You haven't been at school and you weren't answering my texts... I was so worried about you." I murmur. Silence. I shake my head, making up my mind. "I'm coming in, alright?"

Miku responds with a quiet grunt. I slowly open the door, before peering around and switching on the light.

Miku is sitting on her bed, her twintails all knotty. There are dark circles under her dull blue eyes, and there is a cut on her right cheek. There's a nasty looking bruise on her shoulder, and a couple more scattered on her arms and legs.

"Miku..." I whisper, rushing over to her and sitting down beside her. "What the heck happened? Are you okay? Who did this to you?"

Miku sighs and shakes her head, tears welling up in her eyes. "I... My parents saw the video online... Turns out my dad's homophobic... He's never liked me, at all, but.... I guess this just... pushed him over the edge..." Miku's voice sounds raspy, and she begins another coughing fit.

After a moment, she takes a deep breath and continues. "Mum... left me... with him... she hasn't come back yet... and I'm beginning to think... she never will..." Tears are now pouring from her eyes, and she makes no effort in wiping them away. "My dad took my phone so I couldn't tell anyone. He would... hurt me, because mum left... I'm sorry. This is my fault..."

"Miku, don't you dare blame yourself. You're the victim - you've done nothing wrong." I tell her sadly.

Miku doesn't look too convinced. "I don't know... He wouldn't let me have anything to eat or drink either... it's horrible..." Her voice is now nothing more than a whisper.

"Miku... I'm so, so sorry..." I apologise, tears threatening my own eyes as Miku tells me what had been happening over the past few days.

Miku moves closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder. "I don't want this!" She protests, her voice breaking. "This hurts too much..."

I put my arm around Miku and hug her gently. "And you're not going to put up with it for any longer." I tell her. "You're coming to stay with me."

"Really?" Miku sits up straight again, energy suddenly returning to her weak body. "You don't mind?"

"Of course I don't! I'd hate for you to suffer through this." I tell her. "Your dad isn't here at the moment, is he? I'll help you pack clothes and essentials, and then we'll go back to mine, okay?"

"Thank you so much..." Miku murmurs. I smile a small smile at her, before helping her pack her stuff; stuff ranging from clothes, to uniform, to toiletries, to Miku's phone, that had cleverly been hidden by her enraged father.

Pretty soon, Miku and I are rushing down the street. Miku seems to be in a great deal of pain, and she limps along beside me, but without a single complaint.

"Are you feeling okay?" I ask her as we walk along, shooting her a concerned glance as we turn into one of the alleyways.

"I..I think so..." Miku responds, bringing a hand to her forehead. "Though, I feel lightheaded..."

"It's alright. We're almost at my apartment, okay? You'll be fine, Miku." I assure her, leading her through the claustrophobic alleyways. Miku nods her head slowly, peering at me through her half-closed eyes.

"What about my dad?" She asks suddenly, her voice barely audible. "He won't be happy to see that I've left... And when he finds me..." A dark shadow casts over the younger girls forehead, and she stops dead in her tracks.

"Miku... what he is doing is wrong. You shouldn't have to put up with this abuse. Don't worry about him. You never know, he could get arrested for this." I tell her, with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Uuu..." Is Miku's only response, and I twist around to face her. She's standing still, swaying gently from side to side as if about to fall off balance.

"Miku-!" I run over to her, just as her legs give way and collapse.

A/N: so I hope this isn't too depressing ^^" also, I was asked in the previous chapter if this sorta stuff was based off personal experience. Whereas a few of this stuff is based on my experiences and feelings, this isn't one of them.
See you in the next chapter -- I swear it gets happier.