School Blues - #26

Miku's PoV

As soon as Luka and I enter the school grounds, I feel everyone's attention focus on me, like I were some sort of magnet. My eyes flicker around nervously at the whispering teenagers surrounding me, and I hide behind a curtain of teal bangs as we walk towards the school building.

I can't block out the comments of the other students as they whisper among themselves in hushed voices.
"What the hell happened for her to be off for so long? Did she come down with a serious case of skivitis?"
"Aww, couldn't she handle the guilt of backstabbing her friends? How cute!"

Silent shivers are sent down my spine as I walk with my head facing the ground. I glance hesitantly at Luka, who is glaring over her shoulder at the students. Her eyes meet mine for a moment, and I give her a small smile before turning away again.

"Don't let them get to you." Luka hisses. I nod my head slowly, before taking a deep breath and— bash! "Ah-!" I look up to see a glass door centimetres from my face. I whimper, clutching my forehead, just as a group of teenagers behind me start to yell and laugh hysterically.

Luka looks at me, wide-eyed. "The.. The door was closed-" she stutters, opening the door widely before leading me into the school building. An irritated groan escapes my lips as I stumble behind her closely, my footing clumsy and off.

Luka stops me in the corridor and turns around to face me. "Did you hit your head hard?" She asks me, her worried blue orbs fixated on me. "Move your hands a second, let me see it..." I exhale deeply and obey her command obediently. Luka brushes my bangs out the way for a split second, her touch soft and—

No, don't think weird stuff now! You have more important things to worry about...

Vigorously, I shake my head in attempt to cancel out these thoughts. Alarmed, Luka pulls away, much to my disappointment. "S-Sorry." She apologises, "um,  there seems to be no blood, or even any marks."

"That's good." I respond quietly, only half paying attention for a moment. "And no need to apologise, it's fine-!" I look up to the pinkette and force a smile. She smiles back, and gently pats me on the head. "Alright then, in that case I'm not sorry." She smirks, giggling to herself.

I giggle along with her absently. The worried feeling from before hasn't faded yet, and from the incident minutes ago, I feel seriously embarrassed. I glance momentarily around the corridor in paranoia. Luka senses my arising panic and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Ah-" Once again, her touch is gentle and comforting. I tilt my head slightly and my eyes meet her caring blue orbs. Subconsciously, I smile at her, a small, this time genuine smile. "Thanks."

Luka smiles back to me, but I can't help noticing her cerulean eyes suddenly clouding with conflict and guilt. "Let's go to homeroom." She suggests. "Nobody's usually there before school starts."

I nod in response to her proposition, and side by side we take off down the maze-like corridors. The long, empty corridors give off an unwelcoming vibe, and the rooms are grey and drained of colour. It's been a while. Though it's only been a week or so, it feels like a lifetime ago.

I continue down the corridor, unaware of the fact Luka has vanished from my side. "Miku?" Luka calls, breaking through my train of thought. I stop dead and twist around, to see Luka standing by the door to our homeroom. Sheepishly, I pace over to her.