Fear Settles - #37

Lukas PoV

"Are you guys free after school? I was wondering if you wanted to hang out at the park across the road." Yukari watched as Miku and I packed our stuff roughly into our bags after an exhausting science lesson.

In my case, it wasn't only the endless formulas that tired me out so much, but also the thoughts that refused to stop racing around my mind like a racetrack.

Miku's azure eyes sparkled at Yukari's proposal. "That sounds fun! I'd love to!" she beams, before turning to back to me, ecstatic blue orbs burning into me. "Pleeease, Luka? It will be fun, promise!"

"Yeah, sure." I respond monotonously, flashing the tealette a half smile, who claps her hands together excitedly.

Now that I think about, I seem to recall Miku and her old friends doing stuff together and hanging out at the mall or at the park after school. Maybe she misses it? Or maybe she just finds Yukari a fun person?

"Okay, lets go!" Miku grabs her bag and begins to dart towards the door, seemingly unaware of the fact that her backpack is left wide open. Her teal pencil case falls to the ground with an audible crunch as the pens and pencils inside hit the ground.

Alarmed, Miku turns around and stares at the pencil case on the ground for a moment, before looking over her shoulder at her open backpack. "Oops!"

"Oh Miku..." I mutter under my breath, amused, before taking a step forward and picking up her pencil case. "Turn around a second." Miku obeys, and I stuff the case atop of the books she has in her bag, before zipping it up securely.

Yukari, who has been giggling the entire times, gives us both a smile. "You guys are cute." She comments.

"Huh?" A blush swiftly creeps across Miku's pale cheeks. "Wh-What's that supposed to mean?" She questions, unable to stop her voice from stuttering.

I narrow my eyes. Maybe I'm taking her statement out of context, but it can be taken multiple ways, can't it? And one of these ways, I really don't like in the slightest...

Yukari tilts her head and gives a slight smile. "Nothing!" She responds, in a slight sing-songy voice. "Nothing at all~"

Miku blinks, still blushing. "Anyway!" She shrieks, her high-pitched voice slicing the otherwise silence. "Can we go to the park now?" She asks, pouting. Her blushing cheeks and pouty lips really make her look adorable, and I can't help a fond smile forming on my lips.

"Sure thing!" Yukari cheers, her voice enthusiastic. "Come on squad! Let's go on an adventure!" And with that, she darts ahead, before stopping in her tracks and glancing back at us. "Come on, slowpokes!"

Miku looks back at me with a smile. "Come on Luka!" She calls my name, before rushing off to join Yukari.

In no such hurry, I fling the strap of my jet black bag over my shoulder before following the other two, my pace steady, and lacking the bounce in their step.

===

Miku's teal, flowing twintails perfectly mimicked her movement as she swung back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Her smile as she soared was like the smile of an angel, and it relieves me to see her enjoying herself for once, even if I don't quite  agree with the circumstances (why didn't I think of this before Yukari came along?).

Yukari smirks, almost devilishly. "Challenge accepted!" She grins, jumping up onto the free swing and beginning to swing her legs rhythmically. Its only a short matter of time before Yukari is swinging higher than Miku, who's expression clouds over with one of dissatisfaction. Yukari just smiles innocently, in response to Miku's displeased expression.