Our Little Secret - #46

Lukas PoV

Though the darkened clouds above shielding the ocean blue sky are inauspicious, they look strangely soft and fluffy, almost like colossal pieces of flocculent candy floss, though drained of pretty, pastel colours - it's both ominous and comforting.

Wrapping my scarf tighter around my neck, I lead Miku through the bustling streets, away from the obnoxious noise of everyday life surrounding us. Gradually, the modern buildings around us start to dissolve into bare trees and bushes. The odd golden-coloured leaf pirouettes down to the ground, making a 'crunch' sound under my shoes.

"You seem to know where you're going." Miku comments as we trek through the fading greenery. Her analysis makes me stop and pause for a moment, before I nod my head gently, unable to prevent a sense of bittersweet nostalgia from coming over me.

"Yeah." I agree, turning left and beginning to make my way through a gap between the trees and into an overgrown corridor. "I do."

The sound of footsteps following close behind me suddenly mutes, and I twist around abruptly to see Miku at the entrance, peering critically into the narrow space. I smile and beckon her in, and after a moment she follows me inside. I wait for her to catch up, before walking on, peering over my shoulder every now and then.

"Growing up so desolated from others my age, I got bored pretty easily. I didn't mind being alone, though it always hurt me to be so isolated in a crowd of people, hearing them laugh, seeing them smile with their friends and family. So I'd often come here, with a book, my iPod and sometimes a sketch pad. It gave me an escape from society." I explain to her as I fight my way through inconveniently placed branches. "It was slightly less overgrown back then, but..."

"Ouch!" Miku squeaks, followed by a high-pitched whimper. "Something stung me!" Her sudden wailing causes me to flinch, and I look back over my shoulder to see her peering up at me through pained cerulean orbs.

"Th-there's a few nettles along this route..." I tell her sheepishly, letting out an airy, nervous chuckle. "The sensation won't last long, Miku. Promise."

Miku nods, though continues to sulk. I lead her up the uneven terrain and steer her through the woodland maze until reaching a small area surrounded by trees, with tall grass and tiny flowers still alive despite the low temperature cascading across the grass. There's a familiar, large tree to the right, with a twisty trunk and stable branches, and a steep hill just up ahead overlooking a flowing stream.

Miku looks around in complete awe. I grin as she spins around, taking in her surroundings, feeling proud of the magical little place I'd discovered alone several years ago that I'm now able to share with the person closest to me.

Choruses of birds can be heard, singing sweet, sweet songs and drowning out the noise of any nearby human activity. Miku turns to me and tilts her head with a small smile. "This is where you spent your time?"

"Mhm. When I was feeling particularly daring I'd climb up that tree and overlook the place from above. It may be weird, but looking down at the world like this made me feel in control of things, when I felt everything was out of hand." I turn to her and smirk. "You any good at climbing?"

"Not in the slightest!" Miku responds perkily, giggling. "I'll give it a try though, show me how it's done. I'll follow your lead!" She pauses for a second before adding, rather abjectly, "...And I'll try not to fall!"

"You'll be fine." I respond, swinging myself up onto the lowest branch before climbing up to the next one. Miku nods and repeats my actions carefully. I notice her glance down at some point before quickly looking back up again, a hint of fear in her eyes and she continues up the tree.