A Siblings' Bond - #33

Miku's PoV

I love the weekends. Weekends are an opportunity for me to feel free from the awful people back at school, a chance to be myself and not have to worry about what they'll say about me.

I sigh to myself and lean back in the sofa, feeling seriously pathetic. Not long ago, I told those bullies I loved her. I told those bullies to target me instead. And yes, the bullying has gotten progressively more regular, which should mean they focus less time on Luka, but... I'm too weak to handle it.

I try and be strong but I just can't keep standing while others are throwing rocks at me. Not long ago, people's opinions were everything to me - I wanted them to think I was cool and pretty. If there was a latest trend I'd be sure to follow it, even if it didn't appeal to me all that much.

Going from one to one hundred in a matter of a couple weeks is kinda scary... but I think I made the right choice. Luka's able to smile and laugh now she has someone to share memories with, and seeing her smile makes me feel so happy.

I tilt my head to one side slightly, quietly. I'm awfully grateful that Yukari had stood up for the both of us yesterday. She seems like a strong, protective, caring person, and id love to get to know her better.

"Here," Mikuo enters the room carefully, carrying a steaming mug of hot chocolate in his hands. He carefully places it on the glass coffee table in front of me, before taking a seat next to me on the sofa.

Gratefully, I smile at him. "Thanks, Onii," I thank him, before taking a sip of the chocolatey drink. "Ack-!" I protest. "It's hot.."

Mikuo chuckles, and his cerulean eyes show the same fondness they always have. "Miku, it's called 'Hot Chocolate' as opposed to 'Cold Chocolate' or even 'Lukewarm Chocolate' for a reason," He smirks.

"Oh shush..." I giggle along with him, placing the mug down again. Mikuo had asked me over yesterday via text. He wanted to catch up, and honestly, I wanted to see him too.

Growing up, Mikuo and I were pretty inseparable. He was always looking out for me, always the first to comfort me when I cried. I'm relieved we are still pretty close, and happy to call him my older brother.

"So," Mikuo begins, shifting in his seat before looking at me with caring blue orbs. "How've you been doing recently?"

My gaze wanders away from him. "A lot has happened since you left home..." I admit, my voice quiet. I take a deep breath before making eye contact once again. "I finally realised what crap people Rin and Meiko are, and I decided I wanted to befriend Luka, because shes been bullied by them for years on end and she just seemed so alone... I felt so bad for not doing something sooner and I wanted to give her a friend to rely on.

"Rin really didn't take this nicely and told me she'd make my life a living hell because i, quote on quote, 'betrayed her'. And this was when dad began to act up..."

Mikuo stares at me, waiting for me to continue. I bite my lip and avert my gaze to the floor. "...I'm bisexual. When dad found out, he went berserk. I guess that was one of the... triggers, I s'pose..."

"I see..." Mikuo says, furrowing his eyebrows. "I've always known dad was homophonic, but that doesn't give him the excuse to put you in such a state. Speaking of... I've got in contact with the police. They may need you in for a court session sometime soon."

I nod my head slowly, unable to keep the rising fear at bay. "U-Understandable.." I stutter.

Mikuo smiles and rubs my back gently. "It'll be alright, Miku. He won't be able to do anything to you, and plus, I'll be there too. I'll protect you."

I look at him thankfully and giggle. "Thanks so much." I tell him. "But um... I hope you still accept me, even after knowing my sexuality and all..."

Mikuo pulls a face. "Why wouldn't I? I have nothing against homosexuals, and even if, you're my adorable younger sister and I couldn't possibly hate you." He assures me.

I nod at his words, smiling, before taking a sip of the (cooler) hot chocolate.

"So, tell me about Luka," Mikuo says.

I can't help a smile from spreading across my lips. "She's amazing," I respond. "She's a pretty reserved person, incredibly smart, really adorable, she's so fun to be around, though she is extremely hard on herself... she's always blaming herself for my situation and I notice it really gets her down..."

Mikuo smiles. "She sounds like a genuine friend to you," he comments. I nod eagerly in agreement.

"Definitely, She's a really caring person, and she really doesn't deserve any of the shit she's put through at school..." I sigh. "Her mum committed suicide when she was younger and the popular kids all say it's all Luka's fault. They tease her for her appearance as well... I don't understand why..."

Mikuo listens thoughtfully to my words. "I'm afraid that's just how some people are... but Miku, it sounds like you've really brightened up her world, likewise I'm sure she did with you." He smiles.

I smile back at him. "She really has."

A/N: Hallo guys~ I hope you enjoyed the chapter!
Mikuo was mentioned some chapters back, but since then he's been pretty absent from the story, sooo here he is!
Thank you all so much for reading, and see yall in the next chapter!!