A Familiar Face - #56

Miku's PoV

All day, I've had a strange feeling deep within me that has refused to subside. Through the laughs, through the smiles, through the jokes and the newly made memories it remained, following me around like a shadow. The consistent pinging of my phone all day served as a reminder; a reminder that something wasn't quite right. But I chose to ignore it — I didn't want anything to ruin this long awaited day.

Don't get me wrong; I loved spending time with Yukari, IA, and Luka especially. I haven't felt that happy, that free, in what seems like years, and it felt so good to run around and joke and have fun without the fear of someone judging me, mocking my every move and laughing at my every word.

I didn't, however, expect such a magical day to end quite like this. Luka and I are sat on the back seats, her hand placed atop of mine almost comfortingly. Every now and then, our eyes meet. She flashes me a small smile, and I return it, before turning back and staring out of the tainted window, wondering what hell I'm about to endure.

I have very mixed feelings about my mother. She single-handedly abandoned me when I needed someone the most, leaving me with my out-of-control father without a word, text or apology. Maybe she could have done something to save me from further abuse? I'll forever live my life without answers.

On the other hand, though, she's still my mother, and a figure I looked up to for years on end growing up — the pros and cons are playing tug of war, and it's making my head spin.

Every time my face creases with uncertainty, Luka gently squeezes my hand reassuringly. What would I do without her?

A stiff silence is shared between the three of us. No music, no talking, nothing. Mikuo's narrowed eyes are focused on the road ahead of him, and his lips are pursed in a straight, thin line. I don't know what's going through his head right now, and more questions are arising by the minute.

Though the drive from Luka's to Mikuo's isn't very long, it felt like an absolute eternity. Mikuo resides in an apartment of his own on the opposing side of town. Initially, Mikuo moved in with roommate a couple of years ago, though said roommate upped and left to live with his girlfriend only months later.

Eventually, the vehicle slows to a halt, and one by one, we scramble out of the car. I follow close behind Mikuo with Luka by my side as he approaches his apartment, reaches for his keys and unlocks the front door; I find myself holding my breath in subconscious anticipation as he does so.

The door creeks open slowly. Miku shuffles into the narrow hallway and moves aside to hold the door open. I gulp before stepping into the apartment and kicking my shoes off, unsure of what exactly to think and feel — no emotion seems to top the others.

I steal a brief glance at Luka. Her attempts at a poker-face seem to fall through, and by the look in her azure eyes I can tell she's anxious. After all, neither of us know what's going to happen, and neither of us have a good feeling about it, either.

"I've got her." A stern voice breaking the silence. Mikuo peers his head around the door to the living room, before looking back and beckoning. I bite my lip and inhale a sharp, shallow breath.

It can't end too badly, right?

With that thought my only minor motivation, I set foot into the living room, gently grabbing Luka's arm and pulling her along with me.

And there she is, sitting primly on the sofa, waiting. Our eyes meet. I bite my lip, the thoughts in my head going utterly berserk, anticipating what she has to say.

Slowly, she stands up, and gives me a slight smile. "Hello, Miku, love." She speaks in a gentle voice, but it has a grating undertone. "I'm so relieved to see you are well, despite the circumstances."