Reflective Dusk - #72

Luka's PoV

The following few days are much less stressful, and I finally feel able to breathe properly again — the calm after the storm, I suppose you can call it. It's been a bumpy road; Miku and I have had countless mental, physical and emotional challenges thrown at us over the past couple of months, but each mountain we overcome together seems to only tighten out everlasting bond. It's written in the stars — we are made for each other, and there's no doubt about that.

I tilt my head slowly to one side, deep in thought. I can still recall my first encounter with Miku like it was yesterday; the way she'd subtly defend me from her friends, the way she would check up on me when they weren't around, the way she would let her pen roll off the desk and ask me to pick it up for her just to get my undivided attention, and the way she fixed my broken iPod, a gift given from my mother not long before she died. At first, I had a hard time trusting her, but can you really blame me? I lived within a cruel world that tried to put me down every way it possibly could. I was convinced she'd turn her back on me, then proceed to whisper and laugh about me with her friends. I was convinced she was like them — but she's not.

Miku is amazing, bubbly, clumsy, diverse, enthusiastic, funny, humble, sensitive, adorable. Her smile can light up even the darkest room; she is the sun on my cloudy days, the yin to my yang, the negi to my toro. She's taken me by the hand, and she hasn't failed to help me explore emotions I never even knew existed before — we've laughed, we've cried, we've fought and we've made up. We've had snowball fights, we've shared our favourite foods, we've kissed as the world around us faded away, mesmerised by one another. We've held hands through the day and night alike, wishing to never let go.

Said challenges have been tough; after all, there's a downer to every positive. I've never known someone to scare me so much, to worry me so much. I've never pined after anyone; I never cared enough to do so. I've never had a true friend before, but even with all these challenges we have since overcome — and I'm sure there will be more in the future, too — it's completely worth it when I get to see her smile, hear her laugh, feel her embrace.

I hope we remain this way. Forever and ever, I hope she can be by my side, through thick as well as thin. I hope we can graduate together, share every passing day together, get a pet together, travel abroad together, grow old together. There's nobody I'd rather have; she's the first person to say 'good morning' to me when I wake up, and the last person to say 'good night, I love you' when I go to sleep. Miku has made herself a home within my heart, a home that can't possibly be reserved for anyone else; none of this would have been possible without her.

Hell, what would my life be like if I'd never met her? I'd still be drifting from corridor to corridor, barricading emotions away, concealing the pain with a pokerface and trying to ignore the daily insults fired at me by my own classmates. If someone told me six months ago that I'd have a girlfriend and be happy as can be, I'd have thought they were insane. Yet here I am — and it hasn't been perfect, but I'm happy. More than happy.

Because of Miku, I'm able to function like a normal human being once again. It's almost like I was some kind of machine, coded to repeat the same routine fault without interference; it wasn't a great way to live. I wasn't living. But now, I can freely experience all those little things that make life worth living — I can laugh and smile, I can talk to people, I can make friends, I can play around and let loose without worrying about prying eyes watching my every movement, taking mental notes and spreading untrue rumours.

At last, I feel happy, and that's something I never thought I'd be able to truly say.

"What are you thinking about?" A pale finger taps me delicately on the nose, and I'm brought back down to earth by a curious Miku staring at me, mesmerising azure eyes wide as saucepans, lips twitched into half a smile. Teal bangs fall messily in front of her face, framing her slender build perfectly like a piece of artwork displayed elegantly in a national museum. She is perched on my lap, left leg elevated, gaze not leaving mine.

I blink slowly, returning the smile and wrapping my arms gently around her waist. "Nothing, nothing," I respond airily with a found laugh. Miku leans back into my embrace, seemingly content now that I'm responsive once again.

It's Sunday evening. The TV is turned on for background noise, though neither of us are paying much attention. The cast on Miku's leg is completely covered in colourful marker — she let me unleash my artistic talents a couple of days ago, and I tried my best to make it look nice for her. Flowers and vines climb up the plaster cast, complete with little buds of all the colours of the rainbow — red, orange, yellow, green, purple, and of course, blue and pink, the two colours that dominate the majority of the cast.

Miku and I have spent the past few days staying at home, both recovering physically and mentally from the past week (her more so than me, of course). Mikuo has come to visit several times, bringing his sister flowers and chocolates as get well soon presents. Yesterday, he brought their mother along too; at first Miku wasn't too pleased, but after a long talk and several misunderstandings, the two were able to forgive each other, and at last, Miku has her mother back again. They hugged and made up, and Ms. Hatsune even gave me a quick hug, telling me how much she appreciates me looking after Miku, and more so being a true friend, unlike her prior clique.

"Girlfriend," Miku had muttered defensively under her breath. Luckily, Ms. Hatsune didn't diss the correction; unlike Miku and Mikuo's father, she isn't homophobic, and fully accepted both me and Miku with open arms.

"Hey, Luka?" Present Miku speaks up, nestling against my chest and looking up at me through upturned eyes. "I think I want to go back to school tomorrow, if that's okay."

I meet her gaze, surprised. "You do?" I ask, hoping the shock isn't so evident in my tone of voice. Back at school is the last place I'd have expected Miku to want to be in, especially after the events last week. She averts her gaze and bites her lip, momentarily hesitating as she glances towards the TV screen.

"I don't know, I just... I have a good feeling about it," she admits, before looking back up at me and giving me half a smile. "I've missed out on a lot. I want to be back with Yukari and IA. And hey, I won't have to do PE for a while, so that's just a bonus!"

I can't help but grin at her reasoning as I comb my fingers through her hair gently. "That sounds like a good enough reason to me," I agree. "I'm sure Yukari, IA and Len too will love to see you again. Just don't push yourself too hard, alright? If you feel fatigued, the nurses office is always open."

"I know," Miku says with a nod, pulling a face. "You worry about me too much." She reaches up and brushes aside a lose strand of pink hair, her fingertips light to the touch. I smile at her, a faint blush staining my cheeks.

"It's my job to worry about you."

"I suppose," Miku mutters, once again nuzzling up to me and glancing back to the TV. A comfortable silence falls upon the room once again, the only existing noise being the film we are half-watching and the melodic chirping of birds outside of the double-glazed windows. Sunlight seeps through the blinds as dusk falls upon the day, illuminating the room with a warm glow.

I can't suppress a fond smile from spreading across my lips — I wouldn't change this for the world.

A/N: the end is in sight yall... the end is in sight. I really hope you've enjoyed reading this fanfic as much as I have writing it!!
I don't have much to say hajsjs so as always, thank you so, so much for reading and see you all in the next chapter! Byebyeee~ ♪