"We'll Do It For Johnny!" ♡

The church was on fire!

I don't know what made these kids do what they did next but I know they weren't thinking straight. Ponyboy jumped out of my car with Johnny trailing then. It was like they couldn't even hear me yelling for them to get back here. The next thing I know is I'm pulling children out of a burning church and rip Ponyboy out of there too. The jacket caught on fire so I patted his back and he passed out. I thought I aimed to high and broke his neck or something but he was fine.

Johnny was too far in and I heard a scream. 'No, no, no this isn't happening. I can't lose him. I already lost Laura, he was my last chance to actually protect something. "I'm coming Johnny!" I yelled and hopped into the church right before it collapsed. If it weren't for Laura, I wouldn't have gotten over Johnny to protect him from the falling embers like I did. I probably would have just pulled him out.

The two of us made it out and soon enough, we were in ambulance vans being rushed to the hospital. I could walk perfectly fine so I fought the doctors and nurses to let me off of the gurney but they refused. I only had a burn on my arm and my lungs burned a bit but I wasn't nearly as bad as Johnny.

I overheard the doctors say that he had a broken back and was in critical condition from the horrible burns he'd gotten. I didn't even get to see him but I knew he was horrified. He always was a bit uneasy but I bet it was really bad now.

The food at the hospital was awful but to keep me occupied, I messed around with some nurses. Flirted with a couple, annoyed a few, and so on. One day Tim Shepard payed me a visit. I don't think he ever did find out about me and Angela's one night stand since he never mentioned it but I could be wrong. "Saw you in the paper. I can't believe it doesn't have 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' written on it" he chuckled. "So how does it feel bein' a hero, aye Dally?"

I sighed. "You know them kids ain't mean nothin' to me. I had to help Johnny man" I replied.

"Hey, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it doesn't fit your reputation....at all" he laughed. "Hey, how much longer you gonna be in here?

"I'on know man. 'Til the doctors stop bugging me about my arm" I sighed.

"Well, I'm guessing that not anytime soon. You can't rumble" he teased. I rolled my eyes.

After talking for a bit he had to leave and a few hours passed and I got more visitors, Two-Bit and Ponyboy. After a bit of greeting and talking I decided to ask about Johnny. "How is he? How's Johnny doin' man?"

Two's expression dropped so fast I couldn't believe it. "Listen I don't know about this kinda stuff but uh, he didn't look to good" he blurted out.

My face fell with his. "You still got that blade on you?" I asked. He nodded and flipped it out. I knew it was his prized possession but he knew to trust me with it. "We gotta win that fight man, we gotta get even with those socs" I said, trying not to let my voice crack. "Let's do it for Johnny man. We'll do it for Johnny" I said but I felt a lump in my throats and didn't say anything after that and just tucked the blade under my pillow. The boys left soon after.

The hospital returned to it's natural boring state and I just laid down in the uncomfortable bed. Nurses came in and out but it was just to check up on me. One nurse tried to get me another hospital gown since I'd thrown the other one away but she realized it'd be pointless so she changed her mind.

It was getting late and I was going to be in that rumble no matter what anyone said. I had to do it, for Johnny. He didn't deserve to go through what he went through and it was my fault that he was in a worse condition now than he was before. I found a box with my clothes in it and got dressed.

I walked right out the door but what stopped. "Dallas  Winston? You're not supposed to be out yet" a doctor called. I flipped out the blade and held it to his neck.

"And who's gonna stop me?" I threatened. He didn't respond so I continued out the hospital earning confused looks from the rest of the staff but no one questioned it because they knew I was Dallas Winston and I didn't care.

I drove to the lot only to realize that it was about to start. I hopped out and ran as fast as I could. "Wait! Don't you know a rumble ain't a rumble without me" I yelled but the rumble started right then and there with Ponyboy receiving the first punch.

I fought hard and hit with all my might but my arm was still a little weak. Pony must've thought I needed help or something because he jumped on a soc coming at me, which only ended with the kid on the ground. Don't get me wrong, he was a good fighter but the kid didn't think and often took on guys 10 times his size.

Soon enough the socs began running for their cars. I saw Ponyboy on the ground and brought him to my car. He didn't look to good but we had to see Johnny. I still hadn't seen him since the fire. I sped down the road but then a cop came and stopped us. "Look sick" I told Ponyboy even though he already did.

"Okay where's the fire" he said, asking why I was speeding.

"The kid uhh, fell off his motorcycle. I was taking him to the hospital" I stated.

His expression softened. "How bad is he?" he questioned.

"I don't know, do I look like a doctor to you? He looks pretty bad to me" I stated.

"Follow me" he said and then went back to his vehicle.

"Sucker" I laughed but Ponyboy didn't seem to comprehend what was going on. He seemed so lost but then again, he did just get beat mercilessly. "I was crazy, you know that kid? I was crazy about wanting Johnny to stay out of trouble man. If he was smart like me he wouldn't be in this mess,m. If he was smart like me he wouldn't have ran in that church man" I began to ramble. "You better wise up man." I said but instantly thought of what Jay told me after he shot Laura.

"You get tough like me and you don't get hurt" I said, my voice shaking. "You watch out for yourself and nothing can touch you man" I continued but the lump in my throat came back and I could feel tears forming in the back of my eyes.

I lost Laura, I didn't want to lose Johnny too. Little did I know, I was in for a surprise.