"Failing"♡

We drove for about an hour until Zoey decided to stop for gas. "What time is it?" I asked as Zoey put the car in park.

She looked down at her watch. "10:57" she responded and filled up the gas tank.

"Shit! I'm supposed to meet that creep at 12!" I replied.

"Hey, that guy that cut me left a couple minutes before us. He won't get to "Jay" or whatever much earlier than we will do calm your nerves please. You're making me anxious" she stated.

I threw my arms up in frustration. "I CAN'T CALM MY NERVES! THIS GUY TRIED TO KILL MY GIRLFRIEND RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME AND NEVER EVEN TOLD ME WHY! HE'S BEEN GETTING LITTLE SPIES TO HARASS ME EVER SINCE AND I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" I yelled but stopped when I heard my voice crack. "He tried to take Laura away from me before. What's stopping him now?" I said, a lot softer than before.

Zoey simply looked at me with soft, caring eyes. "I'm sorry Dallas. I know you've been through a lot but.... but it'll get better one day. I don't know when but I promise it will. Your story isn't over yet so stop acting like it's the end of the world. I get it, you love her so why don't you go and save her. Don't take it out on everything in the world and go and give your life a purpose. To protect Lauren or Laura or whatever" she stated, rubbing my shoulder with her right hand. "It'll be fine" she finished.

"It's hard. I was alone for who knows how long and then she came and showed me a whole new meaning to life. She showed me that you could have fun and have a great time and forget about the rough things. If anything happens to her I-I can't take it. I can't let anything happen to her" I sniffed, trying to hold back any future tears and failing.

Zoey gave me a caring half-smile and crawled out of her seat to the cross over the armrest. In less than a minute her small body was pressed against mine in a tight hug. I then pulled her onto my lap so that she was straddling me and I buried my tearful face into her warm neck. I felt her start to run her fingers through my soft hair as she quietly soothed me. "Hey, don't be ashamed to cry. It'll be okay. You'll be just fine. Everything's going to work out one way or another" she cooed softly.

I shook my head like a little kid protesting. "It's not gonna be okay. What if Jay took her? What if she's actually gone this time? I let her down Zoey!" I choked out.

"You didn't let her down Dallas. You're going out of your way to make sure she's okay and i'm sure she's doing just fine. It's not your fault okay?" she hushed, slightly rocking me side to side to calm me down. I don't know how it worked but it did and my crying stopped shortly after.

"I don't say this a lot but.... thanks a lot Zoey" I said and pulled away from the hug.

"You're welcome. I really needed that too" she smiled.

It went quiet for a moment or two before our faces were just inches apart and I could feel her warm breath against my lips. Right then, it was as if a magnet pulled me closer to her and our lips connected. She seemed shocked at first but kissed back briefly after. The kiss was soft and gentle which was a game changer for me since 1.) I only kissed Laura like that and 2.) I only planned on kissing Laura at all.

The kiss ended about 2 or 3 minutes later when I pulled away. "I'm sorry. This isn't right. I'm sorry." I repeated.

She nodded. "I'm sorry, that wasn't supposed to happen. You have a girlfriend and I kissed neck and no. This isn't right. You know what, let's just go" she responded and crawled back to her side.

Shortly, we were back on the road to my former home. We completely avoided what had happened at the gas station and barely talked at all. The whole ride suddenly became awkward. "So" Zoey started. "You're not giving me directions on where to go."

"Well you keep going straight here and when you get to the curve take a left" I spat out, returning my hard stare at the road.

I couldn't see her face but I already knew she had her signature annoyed but caring expression on. I swallowed almost nothing, trying not to make it noticeable. "C'mon, you're Dallas Winston! You're tough! You're cool! You don't care about anything" I thought to myself. "You don't care about anything" I repeated.

"Okay now you take the first right and keep going straight for a couple miles until you get to a stoplight. I'll tell you what we're doing once we make it there" I said. Zoey nodded, not taking her eyes off the road and presumed driving. Then, the car came to an instant stop.