"I Thought It Was A Dream"♡

Darry wasn't going to be happy. I debated for a while on whether or not I'd go back home until I fell asleep in the waiting room. "Ponyboy Curtis? Um, Mr. Curtis?" a voice sounded, waking me up. "I've got news on Johnny Cade" Mrs. Peterson said.

I jumped up. "How is he? How did it go? Can I see him?" I asked impatiently waiting for an answer.

Her face fell and so did my heart. She was about to tell me Johnny was dead or that something happened to him in that room.

Then her face lit up again "Johnny's fine, his breathing is back to normal and he's going to be okay. And yes, you can see him" she stated. I jumped up excitedly and let her tell me where he was. I made my way to Johnny's room and quickly knocked on the door.

"Come in" I heard Johnny's raspy voice say.

"Hey Johnny" I said. "How ya feelin?"

"Different I guess" he weakly smiled.

"Well can ya talk or do you want me to leave ya alone?" I asked.

"It hurts to talk a bit but I want you stay" he forced out.

"Um, I think they still have Gone With the Wind in the gift shop if you want me to read it to you" I offered but it got quiet. About a minute or two later, Johnny fell into a deep sleep but he was okay. I looked up at the roof and silently thanked God for giving him another chance.

I went to the lobby and asked for a phone to call my brother. The phone rang for less than two second and impatient Sodapop answered. "Hello?" he asked quickly.

"Hey Soda, it's me, Ponyboy" I said.

"Ponyboy? Where are you?! Darry and I have been worried sick about you. Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm at the hospital-" I said but what cut off.

"The hospital?! Pony what happened?" he yelled. "Pony's at the hospital?" I heard Darry in the background.

"No Soda listen! I'm fine. After the rumble, Dally and me went to see Johnny. Look I'll explain later okay" I said.

"Well we're coming so just wait where you're at" Darry said through the phone.

The gang and my brothers showed up about 15 minutes later asking too many questions for me to comprehend. "Guys I'm too tired for this! Calm down! After the rumble Dal brought me to see Johnny. He thought Johnny died and went on a suicide mission where he met his long lost girlfriend and also got shot so he's here too. Johnny just got out of the ER and Dally's passed out with his girlfriend" I quickly said.

"Wait what?" the gang asked.

"Johnny's okay? Dally tried to kill himself? Johnny almost died? Dally has a girlfriend? Johnny just got out of the emergency room? Dally got shot? How come we didn't know any of this?!" Two-Bit asked but I was too tired to actually answer anything he just asked.

"Yes" I responded and passed out.

                                       Dallas
                                 point of view

I woke up the next morning with Laura still sleeping by my side. She had a long night so I didn't blame her. I shifted onto my side and winced as it touched the bed. I forgot I was shot. Laura stirred awake. "Mm? Wha-" she said but paused. "I thought it was a dream" she giggled.

"What part?" I laughed.

"Everything. I thought I was still in New York" she laughed. We sat there for a bit, smiling and talking.

I sat up against the headboard and scooted over, patting the bed next to me so she can come and sit too. She did and later her head on my chest and I wrapped my arm tightly around her, planting a kiss on top of her head. "God I missed you" I said.

She moved closer to me. "Then why did you leave?" she asked. My smile fell.

"I'm so sorry Laura. I couldn't take seeing you like that and it being my fault only made it worse. I thought you had died and it drove me insane" I said, almost in tears again.

"No, don't cry Dally" she said and hugged my side which made me wince again. "S-Sorry. I forgot"

"No it's fine" I replied, holding her closer to me. I never thought I'd be able to do that again and now that I could, I wasn't taking it for granted. "I won't leave again Laura, I promise" I said.

"I know Dallas. I know" she said. "I missed you too."

We sat like that for a bit until we were rudely interrupted by the gang barging in and cheering. "Oh, maybe we came at a bad time" Two-Bit laughed.

I rolled my eyes and didn't move. Laura on the other hand shifted out of my grasp. "I'll go and get you some breakfast that doesn't taste like prison food" she smiled and pushed past the gang.

"That's the girl?" Soda asked Ponyboy. Pony nodded and looked back at me.

"What are you guys doing here? How did you hear about me?" I asked.

"Well you only left my kid brother here at the hospital...alone" Darry sighed.

I remember the events from last night and instantly felt sick. Not only did I find Laura and get shot, but Johnny died and I didn't want to think about that.

"Guys, he still doesn't know about Johnny" Ponyboy stated.

"What don't I know about Johnny man? He died last night and I don't want to think about it" I growled.

"About that" Steve began.

"Johnny's not dead. He's alive and gonna be okay" Ponyboy said.

"I swear to god if you guys are messing with me I will murder each one of you and-" I stared but Two-Bit cut me off.

"And run back to New York with your mystery girlfriend that you didn't bother tell us about?" he laughed.

I rolled my eyes. "Maybe I might" I snarled.

"C'mon Dal, it's just a joke" Two laughed. "Say, why didn't you tell us about her anyway?"

"Becau-... wait a minute, what do you know about her?" I asked. How did they know Laura wasn't some broad that decided to come and see me for some reason? How did they know anything about her?

"I have my sources" Two grinned devilishly.

Ponyboy rolled his eyes and said "I talked to her last night in the waiting room."

"What did she tell you?" I asked.

"Just that you left New York and that she came to Tulsa looking for you and found you robbing a grocery store and then getting shot by the store clerk" he blurted out. "Why'd you leave her?"

"Because I was stupid and couldn't handle what was thrown my way" I sighed.

"Oh my god" Two-Bit gasped.

"What, you're surprised that I actually have a love life?" I rolled my eyes again.

"No Dally. Where's the kid?" he asked, anxiously looking around the room.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked.

"Dally, why didn't you tell us you're a father?" Soda cooed.

"WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?" I yelled.

"I'm just messin' with ya. But really, why did you leave New York?" Sodapop tuned in.

"Not because I got Laura pregnant" I answered.

"Not much of an answer there Dally" Steve insisted.

I was fed up with all of there questions. "BECAUSE I ALMOST GOT HER KILLED" I yelled right as Laura bursted through the door.

"Guys? It's Johnny..." she said, her voice shaking.