Chapter 30: Day Trip

"Bellamy." I called out, as I tripped over a small handle in the ground. "Over here. I found a door."

I tugged at the handle hoping for it to open but failed miserably. "Uh! I think it's rusted shut. Or I've gone weak but I'm gonna go with the first one."

"Here." Bellamy chuckled as he wrapped his hands around the handle and tugged. "Watch your foot."

"Okay."

"Give me a hand." Bellamy said as he continuously tugged.

"Oh! Here." I quickly put my hands on the handle as we both tugged at the same time, the hatch opening.

"Really think this place hasn't been touched since the war?" Bellamy asked as we began to climb down inside.

"A girl can dream." I sighed as I looked around trying to see through the slight darkness. "Come on"

On the stairs sat a skeleton with ragged clothes, it brittle bones brown with age.
I scrunched my nose up at the sight and the lingering smell of death and decay.

"Hell of a place to die." Bellamy muttered, as I nodded in agreement.

"So much for living down here." I spoke up. "This place is disgusting."

I pulled out a flashlight and handed one to Bellamy, flicking them on. I shone the light around the bunker to see if I could spot anything that could help out the camp but everything looked used or just unimportant.

"Anything left down here is ruined." I stated as I made my way around the bunker.

"They must have distributed most of the supplies before the last bombs went off." Bellamy muttered, glancing around.

"Hey, I found blankets." I said, shrugging as I counted them.

"Excited about a couple of blankets?" Bellamy questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, it's something." I mumbled, letting out a groan as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"How about a canteen or a med kit or a decent fricking tent? Argh!" Bellamy snapped as he kicked a crate filled with a black, gooey substance.

The liquid spread across the floor. "Bells," I said as I made my way over to him.

"What?" He asked, looking pissed still from his little outburst. I pointed to the crate as he glanced down and let out a chuckle.

"This changes everything." Bellamy stated as he bent down, picking up one of the guns that had fallen out of the crate.

"No more running from spears. Ready to be a badass, Princess?" He grinned.

"I thought I was already a badass," I raised an eyebrow at him as I bent down and picked up one of the guns.

The gun was quite heavy but luckily their was a strap attached to it which would make it a lot easier to carry.

"Your too adorable to be a badass," Bellamy taunted. I glared at him as he raised his hands chuckling.

"Call me adorable again and you'll end up with a bullet in your head too," I threatened but Bellamy looked like he was holding back a laugh.

"We're lucky the rifles were packed in grease." Bellamy changed the subject. "The fact that they survived means we're not sitting ducks anymore."