CHAPTER 37: GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP

Everyone laughed and talked at the grand reunion, in the next few days Ella noticed that Nathaniel didn't speak a lot to anyone except Thomas and she thought that maybe that was the reason he trusted him with his deepest secrets. She felt happy when she saw Nathaniel smile. But still there was Amber who still wasn't interested in talking to anyone and Ella was getting really impatient and curious about it.

After some days the kings advised Nathaniel to arrange a grand ball in the honor of return of the heirs of Kingdom Eridanus. At first, he was uncomfortable about the thought but then thought that it was for the best. So he  decided to hold a ball after two weeks but was still nervous about what he would say to everyone, he would have to make a speech. But Ella comforted him and told him that everything will be fine.

***

Ella was dressing up for the ball after taking a bath, Janet was tying her hair in a neat bun when there was a knock on her door. ''Come in.'' she called from inside.

The door opened and Nathaniel entered holding some colorful clothes in his one hand while the other rested on the door handle. ''You've already dressed?'' he asked. Ella nodded in reply. ''You should change that dress.'' he said looking at Ella from head to toe.

''Why? Is it not looking good?'' she asked confused at her brother's words.

''No, its marvelous. But I want you to wear this one.'' he said and handed the dress in his hand to Ella. Ella took the dress with a, still, confused expression. ''It belonged to mother and it was her favorite.'' Nathaniel replied to her confused thoughts. ''I was thinking that you look just like mother so you will look better in this one.'' 

Ella felt touched, ''Thank you.'' was the only thing she managed to say as the emotions were overwhelming. ''Are you wearing father's clothes, then?'' she asked. He nodded in reply and left the room.

Ella and Nathaniel came down the stairs in the ball room together. Everyone was already present there, looking at the all the guests and kings and queens, Nathaniel became nervous and glanced at Ella.

''Its gonna be fine.'' she comforted her brother with a smile. When they came down from the stairs everyone became quiet and looked at the pair and whispered in each other's ears. The two of them calmly walked over to their table where their relatives were waiting for them.

Nathaniel and Ella walked to their seats and stood by them. Nathaniel looked around him nervously and taking a last glance at his sister, he cleared his throat. Everyone's attention was already at them but the hall became as silent as a grave.

''As you all know,'' Nathaniel began, ''that there had been quite a lot of misunderstandings and desperate measures were taken to bring a temporary calm. I know that I have done very terrible things in my past which caused a great deal of unevenness in my sister, Princess Ella's life. But know this, that our parents, The King and Queen of Kingdom Eridanus, were aware of everything and basically, it was their plan.'' he paused for a moment, now his confidence was back. ''Anyone who is still confused about the present situation may ask me any question and I will clear his confusion.'' He looked around to see if anyone wanted to ask something, when there was no sign of movement he spoke again, ''Fine, let this night begin.''

Then everyone sat at their seats and the dinner was served. Through the dinner Ella caught eye of several handsome young lads and they exchanged smiles. After some time Ella turned to Nathaniel.

''So... The speech went well. What do you plan to do?'' she glanced at her brother.

''What do you mean?'' he asked in return.

''I mean, you have to choose a girl to dance with.'' Ella rolled her eyes. Her words caught the attention of Amber and Queen Harriet who looked up from their plate.