CHAPTER 38: ROAR OF FIRE AND WHISPER OF WIND

It had been three days since their spiritual interaction with King Edmund and Queen Audrey. Ella was in her room sitting on the window sill, her thoughts still revolving around the special incident. After that day neither Ella nor Nathaniel talked much. But a heavy burden of, not remembering her parents and the doubt that they loved her or not, was lifted from her shoulders. Nathaniel was although quiet but his face glowed with satisfaction that Ella never knew before.

After some time of mental peace, Ella jumped from the window sill and went out of her room. After passing two doors she stopped at the third and knocked.

''Come in.'' replied a cool and calm voice of Nathaniel.

Ella entered his room without a second thought and saw her brother standing in the wide balcony of his room. She walked towards him and leaned against the marble railing in the same posture as her brother.

''Its a nice warm afternoon.'' he said distractedly to Ella. Ella knew what his distraction was. His mind and eyes were hovering over something else.

''You like her, don't you?'' Ella spoke ignoring Nathaniel statement.

Nathaniel looked at Ella faking a confused expression and asked, ''What are you talking about?''

''Amber. I'm talking about Amber.'' Ella took the conversation to the exact point.

''I don't know from where these crazy ideas come in your mind.'' he replied shaking his head.

''You can't stop looking at her when you think that no one's looking at you.'' Ella said in a calm tone.

''Ella-'' Nathaniel began.

''Nathaniel, please don't lie to me. You are still looking at her.'' Ella said taking a short glance at Amber, who was walking by the trees laden with winter fruits, hand in hand with James.

''I sometimes wish that you were not so much like mother.'' Nathaniel sighed and spoke in a defeated tone.

''Mother asked me to take care of you.'' Ella replied flatly.

''Before our parents' death,'' Nathaniel started to speak when he realized that Ella won't back away. ''Amber and I.....'' Nathaniel paused for a moment. ''We shared a past.''

He was staring really hard at his hands as though he was seeing them for the first time. Ella looked at him with sympathy but said nothing.

''And two days earlier,'' Nathaniel continued when Ella said nothing. ''We had an argument.'' he said running a hand frustratingly through his silky and neat hair.

''What happened?'' Ella said curiously.

''The two of us were alone in the main hall that night and she brought up the topic. She told me that how much she hated me now and how much I put her through.'' Nathaniel spoke.

''And what did you say?'' Ella asked.

''I told her that I was sorry about everything and what I did was for the best.'' Nathaniel became silent. Seeing his helplessness, Ella placed her hand on Nathaniel's forearm and rubbed gently.

Then Nathaniel spoke again, ''And I told her that I still love her, I still love her no matter how much she hates me, no matter she belongs to someone else now. I told her that if she has erased me from her memories maybe I will be able to do that too one day, but still my heart will beat for her no matter what happens.'' he finished his sentence, trying to look anywhere but Amber, who was now sitting under a tree while James rested his head in her lap.

Ella just looked at Nathaniel, lost of words. She hated it that when someone needed comfort and she was unable to say anything. In response she just tightened her grip on Nathaniel's arm.