CHAPTER 18: REASON

Ella turned around to see Thomas standing in the doorway.

''What are you doing here at this time of the night, Ella?'' he asked politely.

''Umm.... nothing. I was just looking for a good book to read.'' Ella lied.

''I thought you were so tired that you may have fallen asleep on the stairs to your room.'' Thomas threw Ella's words back at her.

''Uhhh... I think I don't want to sleep anymore.'' Ella said. Thomas sighed and shook his head, 

''You are the worst liar I've ever see.'' Ella's face grew red with embarrassment. ''Go to your room and get some sleep we'll start the training early morning. And if you can't stay in your room then I'll have to lock you up.''

*****

Days passed quickly. It had been a month since Ella arrived at King Raymond's palace.

 They received no letter from Nate all this time. Thomas trained Ella to perfection. She was able to do everything. She could control water with wind, she could extinguish or spread fire with wind, she could crumble toughest rocks with wind. But reaching this stage Ella kept somethings away from her. Arrogance, meanness and thoughts like she was the strongest.

She still behaved like the same little sister to James and Aston, the same good friend and cousin for Eric and Amber and the same disappointing daughter to her mother and the same sweet daughter for her father. She changed only for two people, Thomas and Nate. She was no longer the weak Ella, now she was the strong Ella who could control everything.

She had friendly duels with everyone, and she defeated her every opponent. Keeping the weaknesses that Nate taught her in her mind, she won every fight.

The fight with Amber this time was easy. Ella looked through her moves easily and dodged and blocked her every move. Looking for a good moment she aimed her last move right at Amber's chest and the water wave she was sending at her dropped in the middle.

The duel with Thomas was tough, but in the end she conjured up her white peacock. It gave an ear piercing cry which made everyone cover their ears, but to Ella the piercing cry was a soft lovely melody to calm her nerves. Then it started flapping its wings violently which resulted in strong gale. Thomas' air was knocked out of him when he hit the palace wall due to the strong wind.

Then her last three opponents were Eric, James and Aston. All of them had fire  base. She defeated them by diverting their attention.

The most funny thing was that they didn't know about their weaknesses except Thomas. The kings and queens watched all of the duels. They applauded for Ella except Queen Miranda, who just sat there observing carefully and encouraged others to practice hard.

*****

After some days Ella received a letter from Nate. He asked her and Thomas to meet him in the woods next day. The next day they went their to meet Nate. He was sitting in the shades of thick trees. He looked up when he heard them approaching. Ella gasped when she saw his face,

The blue bright eyes that looked full of life seemed a bit faded, there were dark circles under his eyes as though he hadn't slept for weeks and he looked weak like he did not eat anything for days.  

''What happened to you, Nate?! Why are you looking like a mess? Did you not sleep? You look very weak!'' Ella blasted her questions when she took in Nate's appearance.

Nate smiled and put his hand on the ground to lift himself up. The sleeve covering his wrist pulled up a little and Ella saw cuts and scratches covering every place of it.