CHAPTER 40: THE FIRE IS DEAD AND WHAT REMAINS IS THE ASHES

Next day, both kings and their families prepared to leave for their homes. Ella felt sad seeing them all packing their things.

''Chin up, Princess. We will meet again soon.'' Aston had comforted her. But in return Ella just gave a sad smile.

Something inside her was saying that something wrong was going to happen. She just had this bad feeling, she tried to push the unnecessary thoughts away but it didn't work. It just felt that nothing would be same if they leave this place. 

Ella bid them all goodbye outside the front doors. She saw that Amber went to the carriage without meeting Nathaniel and he wasn't doing much good at covering his emotions.

''Hey, I know you are mad at him and possibly don't like him either,'' she spoke quietly reaching Amber, ''But at least say goodbye. He deserves that. He went through a lot.''

Amber wanted to argue, wanted to tell Ella how much he made her suffer, how many nights she cried herself to sleep.... but instead she sighed, ''Fine, I'll do it.''

Ella watched her going back to Nathaniel and say something. At first Nathaniel looked surprised, then nodded and walked away.

Eric and Ella were having a cozy and mushy goodbye. They still had not told anyone that they planned to get married soon. In fact nobody was aware that Eric had already proposed Ella. Thomas called Eric several times, telling him that it was time to leave but he didn't pay attention to his big brother.

Finally getting tired, Thomas walked over to them grabbing Eric's collar from behind he dragged him away. ''Come on love birds! We are getting late!''

''Hey! I wasn't finished yet!'' Eric protested and freeing himself from Thomas' grip, he kissed Ella one last time and whispered ''I will come back to take you with me, forever.'' Ella giggled in response, and then their ways parted.

Nathaniel put his arm around Ella's shoulder as they watched the carriages and the horses vanish from their sight. They then looked at each other and smiled.

''All of this mess will be over soon.'' Nathaniel said to Ella. ''We just have to wait for a few days.'' he said and they started to walk inside the palace.

Nathaniel was thinking about a few days and their enemy was too impatient for days to pass....

*** *** ***

King Desmond and Raymond's small company was travelling together as they talked to each other. Suddenly there was an earth shaking blast and they stopped at once.

''What happened?'' Queen Harriet said getting out of the carriage.

''We don't know, but I'm sure as hell it was from Eridanus' palace direction.'' King Raymond replied.

 Thomas quickly dismounted his horse and placed his palm on the ground.

''You are right, father.'' he said.

''What is happening there Thomas?'' Now Amber asked as she and Queen Miranda came out of the carriages.

''I feel a third presence. Someone's with them.'' Thomas said.

''That scum!'' James spoke angrily.

''We have to go back!'' Queen Miranda spoke.

''No, we are going back,'' King Raymond said pointing at his sons, brother and nephews. ''And the three of you are going to stay here.'' he said looking at Miranda, Harriet and Amber.

''But-!'' Amber started but Aston cut her short.

''He is right. You all should stay here, its not safe there.'' he said looking at the women.