7~ Ain't No Sunshine

1971
•Shanelle POV•

Michael has invited me to go with him to record his "Ain't No Sunshine" cover today and I'm really excited. This is the first time seeing him since his tour started with his brothers and he told me how they are in LA for two days before heading to New York to perform. It's been a total of 2 years and a few months since our date and we have yet to be official couple that everyone assumes we are. It's crazy how fast the story got out there and I'm surprised people are taking this much interests in a 13 year old's relationship . But as Michael keeps telling me, it helps his image. He also tells me that he wants the world to know who I am and how much he likes me but here I am. Still waiting for Michael to ask me to officially be his. Maybe he just assumes we are dating and I should too, but I don't think that's how it works. He's suppose to ask me.

I ride with him to the studio and we get escorted in by Bill while we walk hand in hand. When we get in the studio room, my Uncle, Mrs. De Passe and a couple of engineers look up at us with huge grins.

"And there's the lovely couple. You guys are too cute!" Mrs. De Passe coos at us.

My Uncle comes and gives me a hug, then turns to Michael and say, "Aye, Mike! You ready?"

Michael nods at him for his answer. My Uncle tells him that the lyrics were in the booth already so Michael gives me a kiss on the cheek and makes his way there. I make myself comfortable on the couch, reading a story about Marvin Gaye, until I hear Michael begin to talk into the microphone, starting off the song.

"You ever want something
That you know you shouldn't have
The more you know you shouldn't have
The more you know you shouldn't have it
The more you want it
And then one day
You get it
It's so good too"

I sit down my magazine and give Michael my full attention because he was now staring directly in my eyes as if he was talking about me.

Why does he do this?

"But it's just like my girl
When she's around me
I just feel so good
So good"

As he says the part, Mrs. De Passe stares directly at me with a smile plastered across her face. I flash her a quick smile and focus back on Michael.

"But right now I just feel cold
So cold.
Right down to my bones
Cause ooh..."

He begins to sing the song with so much emotion and pain that it has my Uncle and the other engineers smiling from cheek to cheek.

How does he do that?

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long
Anytime she goes away
Wonder this time where she's gone
Wonder if she's gone to stay
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And this just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away."

His eyes never left mine. He sung every word and every harmony looking deep into my soul. "I love you so much." I said in my head watching the love of my life sing to me like he always does. Or at least I hope.

It doesn't take him long to finish his recording and he comes out to hang with me while they begin to mix the track. He sits down and picks up a LIFE magazine that had him and his brothers on the cover with their parents and begins to read the story written about them.