Chapter 7 (Part 1): Reality

"Wakker worden!" My father said repetitively. His voice rang through my head over and over, with him saying the same phrase. I felt him shake me a couple of times and I quickly realized that this was real. "Wake up." He said this time in English. I opened my eyes and looked at him. "I told you to come home on time…but no you didn’t and look…you cannot wake up. You will not make me late to this fundraiser! Up, up, up!" He said.

I was so confused! It was Saturday. Again?! I began to shuffle in my bed and sat upright!

"Okay dad!" I said getting a little angry. I reached for my phone and I had a text message from James! I watched my dad leave my bedroom.

"Get excited we have a whole day together, no friends no boyfriends, in your case that is, just us!" The message read. I smiled.

That meant I dreamt all of that. What a horrible dream! Why would I dream such a thing? I mean I know we are leading a secret life and I am technically a cheater but why would this be in my mind and subconscious? I did not like these mind games.

I began to type back to James. "Let's see if you can keep your junk in your pants!" I paused and then thought about what I wanted to send in a follow up text. "Plus Donovan and Dee Dee will be there and you know they have big mouths, well Dee Dee does. One slip of her lip to her cousin Anthony,  who is your little friend, and boom a high school scandal is born!" I reminded. I waited for a response as I jumped out of bed. I had to start getting ready before my dad went crazy on me.

"Way to buzz kill!" He typed back. I laughed and then responded.

"Sorry just keeping it real. Umm I have to go get ready I will talk to you in a bit. Love you! And I have to tell you something!" I typed referencing the dream I had.

"Tell me now."

Even though I could not hear his voice, the text message sounded like a Sister Cleo commercial "call me now." I laughed out loud and then typed, " I can't it's about a dream and it is not 12 O'clock yet!" I stated.

I knew he understood. It was culture, tradition and a little bit of superstition that many islanders-people from the Caribbean/ Latin America and South America Region lived by.

He wrote back to me “oude school,” which was "old school" in Dutch.

“Just make sure you tell me not a minute later than 12! I wanna, hear all about this dream.” The message came in and I smiled and then placed my phone down.  He was so cute sometimes. Who am I kidding? He was cute all of the dam time.

I rushed off to shower and then that feeling of ecstatic happiness started to surface. I was feeling just like how I felt in my dream. It started to freak me out a bit.

Unlike my dream, I did not have time to eat breakfast at the table. Because I overslept, I was rushing down the stairs with one wedge heel sandal in my hand and one on my foot. My dad was saying hurry up, hurry up, and pushing me toward the door. My mom grabbed my sandwich that the cook prepared for me as I shoved my feet in my sandals. I looked messy to say the least.

My curly hair was still wet, my skin was shiny because I began to sweat as I got out the shower, and my dress was barely zipped up in the back.

“Mom can you zip me.” I said to her as I sat in the back seat of the Escalade SUV that our chauffeur was driving. My mom turned to me and then zipped me up.

“I think your sister and brother will stop by.” My mom said. I smiled. I hadn’t seen them in a while. I began to put on my makeup and then my dad made a comment.

“So, you are going to be 18 years old in a couple of months.” My dad said.

“Dad…hardly, I will be 18 in May and it is barely November.” I laughed. He turned to me and then grunted.