Chapter 19: Arrest My Love

Amira called my name repeatedly but I was too shocked to get up. I looked at James being carried away like he was some criminal when he was just trying to protect me and the baby that could exist or not. I heard the security guards talk over their walkie talkies calling in medical attention just as Amira pulled me to my feet.

"What the hell is going on?" She screamed. I looked at her confused and then heard the sound of the nurse rushing into the cafeteria. She rushed to the unconscious Amanda lying on the floor with her friends surrounding the lifeless body of Amanda, crying. I wanted to cry too. Soon after the nurse checked her vitals she rushed over to the telephone in the cafeteria leaving the teacher’s aid with Amanda. I hoped and prayed she would be okay.

"Don't cry." Amira said as she held my face with her palms. "That tough brick face girl will be fine. She ain't dead." Amira said trying to make me smile and laugh. I hadn't realized that I was crying. I tried to smile but I couldn't. I just looked like a complete tear drenched, self shocked, and scared teenage girl.

The paramedics arrived with the police. I saw Amanda being pulled out on a stretcher with her friends trailing behind. At least it was not a black bag. So she was that much okay. I noticed the police going toward the Principal's office. Instinctively, I began to follow them with Amira right behind me.

"James Hastings…"The officer said. I could not help myself.

"It wasn't his fault. Amanda attacked me and she was going to step in my stomach and he was just trying to protect us." I said barging into the room. The principal, James, the guards, the two cops and even Amira looked at me.

"Us?" Amira asked and raised her eyebrows.

"I am preg...pregnant." I said not too proudly. The police officer looked at me and then turned back to James. It was like the world stopped and then I felt my arm being pulled and I twisted around to face my father and mother and James' father. I guess the news reached them. That is the curse of the Internet. I didn’t hear them approach. I was that loud and that intent on saving my man, my possible baby’s father, the love of my life, my first love, my high school sweetheart. All I wanted to do was tell the police officer whatever I could to get James off the off and not arrested.

My father raised his hand in the arm I waited for impact. At this point I was use to getting hit. But the hit did not come. I opened my eyes and my mom was hugging me. I looked over my mother's shoulder and my dad was being restrained and calmed down by James's father.

"You are under arrest... For the assault of Anthony..." The officer said. I screamed “no,” just like a deranged pregnant girlfriend would. They clipped the cuffs on his hands. He looked totally uncomfortable with the chained silver bracelets around his wrists. This was not like the times, I handcuffed him to the bed to tease him and kiss his body and work my waist as enjoyed the fullness of him inside of me. This was not like the times when I used my scarf to wrap his wrist to his ankle as I played with him as kid would. This was real terrible, real restraint and real life. I broke away from my mom's arms and ran to James.

"It's okay." He said and tried to smile. I could tell he was so scared.

"To hell it is. You just had to do it. I told you not to. We would have dealt with it." James's father scolded. I tried to kiss James but the cops pushed me away. I could tell James did not like that but it was nothing he could do.

I walked behind trying to calm him with words of encouragement. But he was saying more words of encouragement to me.

"Can I give them my keys?" He asked. His father stopped the cops.

"As you know, he is my son, a diplomat's son.” He reminded the cops. “The only reason those cuffs are on him is because he needs to learn a lesson in listening to me. You really made this situation more than it has to be. And so did Anthony.”