Falling out of love.

Not a request. I had this sitting in my drafts and wanted to publish it. Warning: Angst.
----------------------------

Calum:

You stared at your phone screen, looking at the text you received ten minutes ago. The words broke your heart, but not in the way you expected. "I'm in the studio with the boys, won't be home until late." There weren't any "x"s or an "I love you." That had been happening for a few weeks, but it suddenly made you think about your relationship.

It went downhill. Maybe it was the late nights in the studio, the touring, or maybe there wasn't a reason behind it. Your relationship wasn't the same and it would never be.

In those ten minutes of staring at the screen, you thought about the happy memories with Calum or romantic gestures. But, you weren't filled with happiness and there weren't any butterflies in your stomach. 

A sob escaped your lips, the fear of letting go, of him not being by your side. . . You didn't want to end it, but you couldn't bring back your feelings.

Ashton:

"Hey, guys, why don't we play charades?" Luke suggested. His arm was around his girlfriend's shoulders, unlike you and Ashton. Michael smiled, his hand resting on his girlfriend's leg. Calum's hand was intertwined with the one that belonged to his beloved. The romantic gestures made your relationship look pathetic.

It was funny because you had been dating Ashton for about two years while the other relationships were new. "Sure, why not?" Michael looked at his girlfriend. "What if couples are on the same team? I could be with my girlfriend."

Ashton spoke up, "what about girls vs guys?" You glanced at him, a bit offended that he didn't want to work with you. You had gotten used to it, but it still hurt. You didn't know how much longer you could be in a relationship with him.

"Uh," Luke looked at the two of you and he had a look in his eyes. He could see your relationship was dead. "Sure, yeah, let's change it up a bit, I guess."

"Great idea." You put on a smile. "I'll be right back, I'm going to use the restroom." You walked to the bathroom and closed the door behind you, locking it. You stared at the mirror, trying to face reality. Ashton didn't want to be with you anymore. You heard a knock on the door. "One second." You said.

"It's Crystal." Michael's girlfriend said. You opened the door. "Um, can I come in for a second?" Once you nodded, she entered the bathroom and closed the door behind her. "Are you okay?"

You looked at her. Even though her relationship with Michael was more recent than yours with the drummer, you knew you could trust her with your feelings. "No." You answered honestly. "My relationship has been dead for about a month and I don't know what to do. He doesn't want anything to do with me. I doubt I'm anything more than an acquaintance to him." You hadn't realized it, but tears had formed in your eyes.

"I'm so sorry, (y/n)." Crystal stepped forward and hugged you. You both didn't know that Ashton was on the other side of the door and heard everything. He felt guilty and wondered if he was the reason your relationship was suffering.

Luke:

The smile he gave you was enough to make you cry. You couldn't even manage to give him one. He seemed to still be the boy who fell in love with you. If you squinted hard enough, you could see the quiff he once had.

But, if you looked a bit closer, you could see him suffering. He was suffering in his need to make everything okay again. Because, it wasn't just you who fell out of love. It was him, too. You both were feeling awful for not harboring the emotions you once felt. Yet, he was always better at acting than you.

It made sense for him to call you out on it, to start up the conversation discussing the catastrophe. But, while he was better at acting, you were better at starting the hard conversations. So, he would wait until you could.

Michael:

You stared at the wall as you laid on your side, waiting for your lover to return from the restroom in your shared bedroom. You heard the door open and then you felt the bed dip slightly, signaling the arrival of him.

Michael assumed you had fallen asleep, not getting the chance to see if your eyes were open.

"Michael," his name left your lips in a whisper, the escaped breath accompanying it.

He was surprised but rolled onto his back. "Yes?" He asked, turning his head to look at you - or your back, in this situation.

"How do we fix... Us?" You asked, swallowing after your question.

"Do we need to?"

"We can't stay like this forever. One of us will leave if we can't solve this love. I want to fix it."

"Okay." Michael took a deep breath, thinking. "I can get a... Relationship expert." He knew neither of you felt anything for the other but he wanted to. Hearing you voice your desire to solve whatever it was gave him the confidence to try.

You both knew it wouldn't be easy but you weren't ready to give up.