Chapter 56

The lawyer entered Wilmer´s cell and sat down next to him, ready to talk to him.

“Hey, Mr. Valderrama. I am your lawyer” He said and gave him a kind smile which Wilmer wasn´t able to give him back even though he tried. He was too sad.

“My name is Mr. De La Garza” The man introduced himself. Wilmer took his hand and shook it.

“Nice to meet you” He said.

“Okay, be honest. Did you rape the girl?”

“No, I didn´t!” Wilmer couldn´t help but yell since he was really tired of hearing that question.

“Tell me what happened” The lawyer said.

Wilmer took a deep breath.

“It all started when I got a job at that school. And I met her… She… She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in the world. And we just connected, Somehow.” Wilmer wiped his tears away.

“She was having some problems with her boyfriend but when she broke up with him, we were just friends even though we both knew we could not have just a friendship because we loved each other. And we kissed.”

The lawyer was writing some things on a little notebook while Wilmer talked.

“I wouldn´t say we were dating… We never said that. We just enjoyed being together. Jules, the nurse who was in love with me, and Joe, Demi´s ex-boyfriend, did this. And they blamed it on me. They don´t want us to be together.”

He sighed and looked at the lawyer.

“I promise you I never ever had sex with her. Just kisses and hugs”

“Okay, Mr. Valderrama.”

“I promise” He mumbled, playing with his fingers.

“Alright. I´ll be honest with you: This looks pretty tough. These two persons put this really difficult for you and that girl. But, if you´re telling the truth, I can manage to bring the girl here to speak the truth”

“That´ll be amazing” Wilmer replied as a tiny ray of hope entered his heart.

-----------------

Demi entered the same room she had entered the day after her parents had died at that car accident.

“If you´re hungry or whatever, come downstairs and cook something. Don´t think you´re a guest” Her uncle harshly said before turning around to leave the room and slam the door behind him.

Demi looked around herself and realized that everything was exactly where she had left it years ago. The weirdest thing was that she had only been there long ago yet there were still some of her dolls there.

Her legs brought her toward the window and her big hazel eyes looked at the outside landscape.

The river.

It reminded her of those days she had been all alone with Wilmer at his house and that little dog she had found then came back to her mind too.

She just wished Wilmer could leave the jail soon so they could finally be together.

She sat down on her bed as her eyes travelled through the room. Every single detail of the place pictured a memory in her mind, as if she had just opened an old photo album…

------------

“Tell me exactly what happened” Mrs. Thomson said, looking straight into her niece´s eyes.

“Wilmer and Demi have been dating for a while” Jules said.

“I kinda suspected that” The older woman mumble.

“Did he really rape her?” She questioned. Jules laughed.

“Of course not. Joe did” Jules said. “But it is my plan, you know?”

Mrs. Thomson nodded her head even though she was really confused and didn´t quite understand what her niece was talking about.

“I am in love with Wilmer but he only has eyes for Demi. I hate her for that” Jules explained to her aunt who just nodded again, this time starting to understand things.

“And you hate Demi too, right?”

“Yes” Mrs. Thomson replied, causing a smile on Jules´ face.

“Okay so don´t tell the truth and help me by saying that Wilmer raped Demi” Jules spoke. “You know, so he stays in jail forever. Demi will be sad for good. And I´ll be happy” Jules laughed.

Maybe she was going insane.

Mrs. Thomson´s phone started ringing, interrupting the conversation.

“Yes?” Mrs. Thomson replied.

“Hello, my name is Mr. De La Garza, Mr. Valderrama´s lawyer” The man explained.

“Oh… How can I help you?”

“I need to talk to Miss Lovato. Where can I find her?” The lawyer directly asked.

“Um…” The woman looked at Jules without knowing what to do.

“You cannot do that” She ended up saying.

“Why not?”

“Because she… Um… She died” Mrs. Thomson lied.

“Oh, really?” Mr. De La Garza didn´t seem to believe her.

“Yes. Bye. Have a nice day” And the woman hung up the phone, ending the call.

-------------------------

Rachel saw Wilmer walking up to her. She smiled and he smiled back, even though it was pretty obvious it was a fake smile which was comprehensible.

“Hello, Rachel” Wilmer greeted her and sat in front of her at the visitors room.

“Hey, Wilmer. How are you doing?” She asked. Wilmer sighed.

“Do I have to answer?”

Rachel shook her head.

“No, sorry”

And it went silent for some moments.

Then Rachel pulled a piece of paper out of her bag and handed it to Wilmer.

“It´s from Demi” She said, finally bringing a smile to Wilmer´s lips.

“Thanks” He said and saved the letter in his pocket. “How is she?” He asked the british girl.

Rachel saw the worry in his eyes.

“She is not happy”

Wilmer nibbled on his lower lip, feeling bad for his baby girl.

“What about her health?”

“Someone beated her up really badly. She has got a lot of wounds but she is recovering. Her uncle took her to his place” Rachel explained. Wilmer sighed.

“Tell her I love her no matter what”

“I will… Marissa will come tomorrow to see you” Rachel told him.

“Okay, thank you so much” Wilmer said. Rachel smiled. “You don´t need to thank me”

“You don´t think I raped her, right?”

Rachel shook her head without any type of doubt.

“I know you didn´t do it. You are not that kind of guy plus I was with you when that happened. You´ll come out of this shit. It´s too obvious you didn´t rape Dem.

Wilmer sighed again.

“I hope so”