Chapter 3

"So are you going to tell me why you've been smiling all morning? It's creeping me out." Jeffery, my beautiful gay best friend, asks while taking a sip of his coffee. It's Saturday which is our weekly routine of early morning spin and breakfast after. Jeffery is a model and lives a life I can only dream of. Not that I don't have the money, I just don't have his flexible time to travel. His job takes him across the globe, meeting all kinds of beautiful people. We were actually going to travel to Europe for a month after I passed my bar exam but the fire happened. I haven't traveled outside of the country since; too much happened and life got busy.

"It's nothing. Just spin high I guess."

"Oh bullshit! Spill it now! Does it have something to do with your dinner last night?" He asks hitting my arm.

"Ow. OK OK. Yes, it just went really well. He's very interesting and easy to talk to. We connected, which is a very good sign." He eyes me suspiciously. "What?"

"There's more...tell me bitch. Is he hot?" I grin at him. "Oh shit, he is. You wanna fuck him don't you?"

"Would you keep your voice down?" I laugh. "Yes but it's more than that. He's my equal. He's exactly what I want from a man."

"Sooo what's the problem?"

"He's my client. It's non-negotiable. It can't happen." It can't. As much as I want it to, nothing could ever happen.

"Well that's boring and disappointing."

"Yea tell me about it. You might meet him at the Gala though." He perks up.

"Oh not so boring after all..."

***

The week goes by quickly and it's already Thursday. Johnathan and I have been emailing all week, mostly about work, but there have been some niceties discussing our days and such. Our banter is witty and refreshing. I'm looking forward to dinner tonight. I booked us at a restaurant owned by one of our clients and where I frequent often. I'm always treated very well, provided special menu items and comped a lot of items.

Since I know now that this is a personal dinner to get to know each other, I can dress a little sexier. With help from Jeffery, we pick out a sexy red Alexander McQueen that shows a lot of leg. He insisted it was just enough while still maintaining class. I know he would never steer me wrong so I bought it. I pair it with my Jimmy Choo nude stud pumps and red lip. It's definitely a different look than last week.

I walk outside and see Johnathan standing next to a black Mercedes. I didn't expect him to pick me up?

"Wow. Rebecca, you look lovely." He takes my hand and then kisses my cheek. OK maybe this is just what he does.

"Thank you Johnathan. Did you drive?" He smiles.

"Yes. To be honest I actually hate being driven around, I'd much rather drive myself. Hope you don't mind?"

"Not at all." He opens the passenger door and ushers me in with his hand on the small of my back. His large firm hand.

We arrive a few minutes later at the restaurant. When we walk in we are greeted by Penelope, the head hostess. She's usually here when I am and knows me.

"Ms. Johnson, it's very good to see you again. Let me get Ramone."

"You come here often?" Johnathan asks.

"Yes. Ramone, the owner, is a client. He owns several restaurants across the city."

"Rebecca! How good to see you! You look beautiful as always." Ramone grabs my shoulders gently, giving me a kiss on both cheeks. He turns to Johnathan. "Ramone Santino."