Chapter 28

Johnathan stood up with lightning speed with the intentions of pummeling Travis.

"Johnathan!" I grab his arm in a vice grip. "No!"

He looks at me then back to Travis. Anger rolls off his body but he stays in place, shooting daggers at him.

Travis stands in defense with a smirk on his face, satisfied by Johnathan's reaction. I feel Johnathan's body jerk forward but I grip tighter. Motherfucker. They are going to kill each other and break my shit.

"Travis! Out!" I yelled sternly.

He looks at me surprised. "Please just leave. Please." I whisper in pleading.

His face falls and he scoffs. "Fine. Call me when you're done with his bullshit."

I hear him mutter a "pathetic" as he walks away.

"What did you say?!" Johnathan yells after him. Travis keeps walking, thank God.

"No! Don't you fucking start!" I point and yell in Johnathan's face.

His eyes widen at my outburst and he shuts his mouth. I hear the door slam behind me but I keep my eyes trained on Johnathan.

He visibily relaxes, but only slightly. I turn to find Jeffery and Sam with horrified expressions on their faces.

"Guys I'm so sorry about that. And I hate to ask but could you give us some privacy?"

They both nod. "Well just go get a drink or something." Jeffery says looking at Sam who nods in agreement.

"Thank you."

They both walk hurriedly to the door, putting on their coats and shoes in record time. As soon as the door closes behind them I grab my wine and walk over to the couch.

Johnathan hesistates but then follows me grabbing his and sitting next to me.

"Start talking." I say as soon as he sits down.

He turns his body towards me and releases a breath. "It wasn't a date."

I sigh in relief until he continues. "At first."

"Excuse me?"

He takes a sip of wine. A blatant stall tactic and I want to snatch it out of his hands. "After that night with Travis I went to this bar down the street from the hospital. I met her there."

"Who is her? What's her name?"

"What does it matter?" His tone is irritated and I am losing my patience.

"What is her fucking name, Johnathan?"

"Cynthia. Alright it's Cynthia. I don't know her last name."

"Don't know or don't remember?"

"Don't remember. She told me that night but I forgot and never asked." He sighed. "Look I had a lot to drink and I was pissed and devastated because I thought we were over. I saw the way you looked at me after I punched him, I knew you were done with me."

"Really? How.."

"Rebecca. Just listen please."

"Fine, go ahead." I take a sip of my wine waiting for him to continue.

"I had some drinks with her, she recognized me from some article. She works in marketing. We exchanged numbers and agreed to meet for lunch to discuss some business. You know I'm always looking for some new ideas in that area."

I nodded in agreement. I did know that.

"So we met up a couple days later at that cafe. Her office is near the hospital and she had great things to say about it so I agreed. It started out as just a business meeting, she discussed some ideas and what not but then it got...personal."