Chapter 26

The surprise on my face could not be contained. Why on earth would he be here?

"Johnathan. What are you doing here?" I ask slowly making my way towards the door.

"I'm gonna go get a coffee and let you two...talk." Jeffery says putting his shoes on and grabbing his keys off the table. "I'll be back." He shoots me an apologetic look and I give him a half smile in reply before he shuts the door.

"So.." He starts to say but I stop him.

"Why are you here?" My voice is cold but shaky.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. I wanted to make sure you were okay and recovering well."

"Really? That couldn't be done through a phone call or text?" I fold my arms across my chest and his eyes flicker there and linger. Nope.

"Alright, you got me. I needed to see you. I need to say this to you in person in the hopes you will change your mind. Can we sit?"

I hesitate for a minute, wondering if I really want to hear this right now. I relent. "Fine. Come in."

I turn and head towards the living room. I hear Johnathan follow behind me. I sit on the chair putting distance between ourselves, just as I did in the beginning. Both for the same reason of not falling for his charms.

He sits on the couch across me, saddened that I sat in the chair and not next to him. He lets out a breath. "Look. I know I have jealousy issues and insecurities because of my ex, but Becca I am not wrong about my...judgement towards Travis."

I open my mouth but he puts his hand up. "Please just let me finish." I close my mouth and nod.

"You haven't seen the way he looks at you, the way he lingers when he touches you. You especially didnt see that during his" he does air quotes "exam...he looked at me several times to make sure I was watching. He wanted to make sure I was watching him put his hands on you."

I scoffed. "That's absurd."

"Is it?" His tone was angry. "He kept doing it Becca. He was taunting me and then finally when I snapped and said something, he knew he was getting to me. He smirked at me to push me over the edge. That's why I punched him." He shook his head. "He wanted me to lose my temper and he won. He knew it would be the end of us if I did anything. You would get the confirmation I was a jealous prick and he would come out looking like the supportive friend who isn't trying to get in your pants."

I shook my head. "No way. That's ridiculous. He was just doing his job and you lost your mind because you cant control your jealousy. I'm sorry Johnathan but that's a shit excuse for your actions."

He laughed coldly. "An excuse huh? Tell me, Rebecca. How long did he wait until he asked you on a date? How over friendly has he been while you've been staying in the hospital?"

"He's been a friend but not overly friendly." Lie. "And he hasn't asked me on a date at all." Lie? He did say date when talking about bringing me dinner but there is no way he considers that a date. Johnathan is wrong. Isn't he?

"It doesn't matter, it doesn't change anything. You hit him. You chose your happiness over my health. You tried to control me and I'm not putting up with that shit. I love you Johnathan, i think i always will but not if its at the expense of who I am as a person. I wont be like those women who do whatever their husbands say and become a shell of a person."

"Becca, that would never happen. I would never let that happen. Are you kidding me? You are my partner, my equal. Yes I get jealous because I know the kind of woman you are and know how lucky I am to have you." He looked down at his hands. "Well had you." He looks back at me. "But thats where it ends. I'm not sorry I told you not to see him or have him be your doctor because I don't trust him and I was proven right the other day. I always knew he was a threat to our relationship and you couldn't see it."