Chapter 21

The office I was sitting in was somehow calming. Awards, certifications and books were hanging on the walls and covering the bookshelves. Even the leather chair I was sitting in was comfortable. I felt a sense of reassurance sitting here, that I had made the right choice in coming to Travis right away. I knew I was in great hands.

The door opened and Travis walked in with another older gentleman. I stood to greet them.

"Rebecca, this is Dr. Joseph Reed, my attending and mentor for my fellowship. Joseph, my friend Rebecca."

I shake his hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too Rebecca, please have a seat."

We all sit, Dr. Reed taking the chair behind the desk with Travis sitting next to me. I notice now that this is Dr. Reed's office and all these awards are his.

"So Rebecca we've gotten your tests back." When I got here I was taken for blood work, a chest X-ray and an ECG. It was a lot but I figured Travis was being extra careful, but now I'm not so sure it was just him going above and beyond for me.

"You have what is called Mitral Valve Prolapse. Your valve doesn't close properly so blood leaks back into the atrium. Based on what I see, it doesn't appear to be severe, which would explain why you haven't had many symptoms before your recent episode." My diseased heart drops.

"How long have I had it? What caused it? Was I born with it?" I realize I'm panicking and Travis reaches over and grabs my hand.

"I don't believe you were born with it. Based on your medical history, I would imagine there is some scar tissue from the fire and smoke inhilation that caused some weakening and damage. Heart diseases are very common problems following such events. I worked on a study around firefighters and heart disease a few years ago." I nod my head in understanding. The fire. We were told we could have heart and lungs issues as we grew older but I never expected it, not so soon. I felt fine, I was in great shape.

"So what now? Do I need surgery?" I asked and Travis squeezed my hand. I knew the answer before Dr. Reed even responded.

"Yes. Although it is small now, with your history, I feel surgery is best. It would be minimally invasive. It's a very common procedure now, I've done hundreds."

"It is Bec. I've done about fifty or so myself. It's just a small incision under your breastbone. I've had patients back at work within a few weeks."

I nod silently. I take a deep breath in and out, absorbing the words. Heart surgery. I needed to have heart surgery.

"Bec, you are in the best hands. We caught it very early and with your health and age, you should recover very quickly. I have no doubt."

I turn to Travis and give him a smile and squeeze his hand. "Thank you Travis." I turn back to Dr. Reed. "So when can we do this?"

***
Two weeks from tomorrow. I will have heart surgery two weeks from now. They told me the surgery in more detail and it didn't actually sound as scary as I thought but it is still heart surgery. Any surgery, even minor surgery, can have complications, let alone heart surgery.

Travis offered to spend some time with me and answer any questions I had but I told him I needed time to process everything. I plan on doing as much research as possible and then I know I'll have some questions for him. Besides, I needed to start working on my absence. I was going to be gone at least two weeks, if not more. It'll be hard for me to not work or do anything during that time but it will be nice to be taken care of by Johnathan.

Or not.

I pull out my phone to check if he contacted me but find no messages or missed calls from him. I'll take that as a bad sign. A really bad sign. My appointment lasted almost two and half hours between the tests and conversation with Dr. Reed and Travis. If he cared or was truly worried he would have at least texted by now.