Night before 18

*Hey, brother, I'm staying at Elena's tonight.*
"Well, I hope he sees it."
We're sitting on my bed. I just took a shower, Damon took one before me. I'm still a little nervous about him sleeping here, in my bed. It's just not something I expected to happen so easily. I'm glad he's here with me. I lay down and turn the sheets over me, Damon does the same. We look at each other and I laugh. He smiles, looking confused.
"What are you laughing at?"
"I don't know." I say while laughing. "I just never expected my dad to be so easy about it. I was all nervous about it and eventually I didn't even have to ask him."
He smiles and strokes my cheek, he brushes my hair out of my face and puts it beneath my ear. He just stares at me and it makes me feel so special.
"I'm glad you're here tonight."
"I am too."
He kisses my forehead now.
I think about my mom, how much I want her to meet Damon. Maybe she even knew him already, from when he was just a little boy, since she and Damon's dad apparently were good friends.
"Are you okay?"
I crawl into his arms, not answering.
"Is it your mom?"
I feel a tear coming out of my eye, I try to hold it in, but I can't. Damon sees it and he wipes it away gently.
"I'm sure she's here right now."
I smile and pick his lips.
"I know. I just wish I could talk to her once again. Tell her that after all this time, after losing her and not being able to say goodbye, and after dealing with my depressed father and my young sister who didn't understand anything of what happened, I'm happy now."
"Tell her now."
"That would be weird." I laugh softly.
"I don't think it's weird."
He strokes my hand with his tumb. I whisper.
"Mom..."
I don't know where to look, so I look at the painting I have in my room, which she brought me after one of her business trips.
"If you're here right now and you can hear me. I'm happy, after all this time I'm finally, really happy."
I start to cry. Damon hugs me tight, my head is on his chest and it feels so good.
"Thankyou." I say.
He strokes his hand through my hair, it feels good. I fall asleep, but not for long. I wake up at 00.30am, still on Damon's chest. He's asleep. Soon it's 2.30am and I'm still awake, Damon has been sleeping for the past 2 hours and I've been looking at him since than. He's so cute. I decide to get up and go to dad. He's reading a book.
"Dad?"
I lay down next to him.
"Hey little girl, is something wrong?"
"No, I just couldn't sleep."
"Missing mom?"
"Yup..."
"Me too."
He kisses my forehead.
"Dad why did you ask him to stay?"
"It seems like he makes you happy. I haven't seen you smile like that for so long."
I smile and feel I'm blushing.
"He does. Make me happy. I really love him, dad."
I look dad in the eyes and can see how glad he is to hear that.
"I can see that."
"But I'm kind of scared. I never knew that it would feel so... Big."
"I know. Love can either be the best thing or the worst."
"Right now it feels like the best."
He smiles.
"I did tell him he should not hurt you, though."
"What? Seriously? Dad, what did you say to him?"
"I just said if he hurts you, I'm going to hurt him."
I can't believe this.
"Why would you do that?"
He smiles.
"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I just asked him how exactly he feels about you, because I don't want you to end up hurt."
"Oh my god, dad, embarrassing... What did he say?"
"He told me it was the most real thing he's ever felt in his life."
I feel jitters in my stomach.
"He's a good one Elena, I'm glad you met him."
"Me too."
It's quiet for a moment.
"Dad, did you know everything about mom's life?"
"Why would you ask that?"
"I was just curious."
"We told each other a lot, but it could be that there's something I don't know."
I look at the ceiling.
"Do you mean that she was friends with Damon's dad?"
I look at him, obviously shocked that he knew.
"You knew?"
"I knew that she was friends with him, I just found out later that he's his father."
"Hmm."
"I also know that Damon spent the night here before, and I know what happened. His father isn't a nice man right now, but he hasn't always been like that."
I can't believe dad knows all this. I don't know what to say.
"I'm going back to bed, thankyou. Goodnight."
"Goodnight my beautiful daughter."
I get out of bed and start walking to my room.
"Elena?" He says, I turn around.
"Happy birthday."
I give him a small smile, than I walk further and go back to bed. Damon is half asleep, but not 100%, I can see. I look at him for a few seconds, feeling blessed. I put his arm around me and feel safe. I fall asleep calmly.