Heavy talk

We all sat down on the couch, I'm taking some space and look at the ground.
"So, what was that all about?"
They look at each other.
"I told you about dad, right. How he's never really here and how he's never really been there for us?"
"Yeah."
"Well... Dad didn't just lose his wife, he also lost one of his best friends."
I don't understand who he's talking about. Stefan talks further.
"Elena, your mother was this friend. Your mother and our father were very close, just as friends, but close. There were not a lot of people that knew, because our mom wasn't okay with it. Dad loved mom, but he loved your mom too. Damon and I found out about their friendship and to keep us from telling it to anyone he was aggressive to us..."
I swallow.
"This went on for years, but your mom died and our mom died too. Dad was devastated and didn't know what to do. He knew about you and Rose and he always kept an eye on both of you."
"Yeah, but this year he asked me to help him. He told me about you and he asked me to become friends with you and protect you, he thinks that if he'd do anything to protect you, he wouldn't feel bad anymore about your mom dying."
"Stefan told me this, because he didn't know what to do. We both decided that it was our duty to protect you. For a while we tried to find out everything about your life.-"
"You did what? You stalked me! Is that how you met Cassidy? This can't be serious?!"
"Elena, please let us explain." Stefan says.
"I really can't hear this." I'm about to break, I already feel tears coming in my eyes. They lied to me this whole time, they knew me already and they just pretended like we were strangers.
"Elena, listen. We were scared of what dad would do, and I know this isn't an excuse, but-"
"No, it's not an excuse!"
"But you have to believe us that this wasn't all just a lie. We actually care about you." Stefan ends.
I look him in the eyes.
"Does Cassidy know this?"
He looks at the ground.
"No, but I'd like to tell her myself."
"You better do that!"
I look at Damon and tears start coming out of my eyes.
"Where's your dad now?"
"I don't know." He answers, he looks broken.
"He's in a hotel at this moment, but he said he would come tonight."
"You better make sure that he understands you can't just play with someone's life like that."
"I'm really sorry, Elena..." Stefan says, than he walks away.
"I'm going to tell Cassidy now." He leaves. Now it's just Damon and I. We sit quiet for a few minutes.
"So you broke the plan because you wanted to show your dad that you could be worth something too?"
"Yes..." It seems like he wants to say more, but he doesn't.
"Stay here." Damon walks upstairs, I just stay at the couch. This all feels unreal. Than he comes back.
He takes my hand and gives me my necklace. I look at him.
"I thought you made it all better, now I'm not sure anymore, I feel like you used me. Damon I trusted you." My voice is broken and a tear is strolling down my cheek.
"You can still trust me Elena, it's still me, all of this was real, I swear."
"I have to think about this."
He brushes away my tear with his thumb and than lays his hands on my face.
"That's okay, baby. Take as long as you want."
I lay my hand on his and close my eyes, but than take his hand of my face.
"Do you want me to take you home? You can't drive like this."
I nod. We take my car and drive home. The whole car ride we don't say anything. We arrive and get out of the car.
"Damon, just, don't let your dad intimidate you. Stand up for yourself."
"I will, I promise."
He takes my hand.
"Please remember that I love you."
I look at the car.
"I'm sorry you have to walk home."
"It's okay, I'd like some fresh air anyway."
"Okay."
Than I turn around and walk in, straight to my bedroom, because I don't feel like answering dad's questions. I feel so weird, like half of my life is a lie. I just want to go to bed.