Chapter Eleven: Fake Smile

Fuuto’s PoV

I spotted Kei sitting at the living room alone. She was humming to herself, and then I realized she was humming ‘Get Ready Tonight’.

“Hello,” I said then sat beside her.

H-hello, Asakura-san…” she stammered.

She’s polite.

I got closer to her. “So why are you alone?” I asked.

“Ate Joan, Ate Maria, and Maya went to the grocery with Ate Ema…”

“What’s ate?” I asked.

“I-it’s what Filipinos call their elder sisters…” she stammered.

“Ah…”

I leaned closer to her.

“You know, I don’t like girls like you who are too simple…” I muttered. “And besides, aren’t you scared of what I might do?”

I touched her cheek then smiled.

“I’m not scared…” she muttered, looking away.

“Oh? You’re naughty aren’t you?”

“Not in that way… I’m not scared… because I know you won’t do such bad things to me or to any other people…” she said.

I was surprised, so I leaned away a little.

“Why is that?”

“I’ve idolized Asakura-san for years… That’s why…”

“But you never know what I’m really like off camera…”

“No, I see the real you even on camera,” she said.

“Huh?”

“I’ve watched your movies and the behind the scenes of the making of your music videos… It might not be noticeable to anyone, but I see how you try to perfect every little act… Especially when you sit down, or when you walk or look away. You pay to every little detail…” she muttered.

I looked at her, eyes wide.

“The true you is the Asakura-san that works hard for his passions and dreams… It’s because you’ve entered the world of show business that you often take on adult like speech and conduct. But even so, it what makes you YOU, so it’s still the real you. But you have put away the real you, the one who can put on a true smile and replaced it with a mask. I can sense that some of your smiles are fake… no, all of the smiles you show on camera are FAKE. Because the true smile will always reach your eyes…” she said. “But whenever I see you smile, it was for the sake of acting, for the sake of the fans, or for seducing.”

It’s like she was looking through my heart that I kept shut…

“But, Asakura-san, if you don’t put on a true smile, even if you say that you enjoy your work, I won’t believe you. The others that have noticed you faking a smile won’t believe you. Do you want your fans to be sad because they know you’re faking a smile?”