Chapter Twenty-one: New Year's Day

Maria’s PoV

“New Year is just around the corner!” Wataru-chan exclaimed.

“Oh yeah… Why don’t we go to the shrine and pray together? Then we can wait for the fireworks…” Masaomi-san suggested.

“I wish I can wear a kimono…” I murmured, sighing.

“I have four more extra kimonos!” Ema-chan said. “You can borrow them!”

“Really? Thank you, Ema-chan!”

On the day of New Year, we all went to the shrine, including Hikaru-san, Natsume-san, Subaru-san, and Fuuto-san. We girls stopped by a restroom to change into our kimonos. We arranged each other’s hairs and went back to where we left the boys.

“Oi!” I shouted.

“Sorry for making you wait!” Ema-chan said.

They all looked at us with a surprised expression.

“What’s wrong?” Kei asked them.

“Yeah! Why are you guys so silent all of a sudden?” I added. “I know… I look ridiculous. Should have known that kimonos don’t suit me well. I’ll go and change. I’ll catch up later…”

“No! You look just fine!” Hikaru-san said.

“Then why are you guys looking at us like that??”

“Well… It’s because you girls look nice…” Ukyo-san said. He clears his throat. “Right?”

“Really nice…” Tsubaki-san agreed.

Ema-chan, Joan, Kei, Maya, and I blushed and said, “Thank you…”

Iori-san took my sister and showed her around.

Fuuto-san took Kei and said that he will be her escort.

He had put on a seducing smile so Joan and I hit his head hard.

Masaomi-san said that we’ll meet at the shrine later so that we could all pray together. For the mean time, we went our separate ways.

I got stuck with Louis-san since he scolded me for not letting him do our hair… T^T My punishment is that I’ll go with him when I look around.

Should I be happy or irritated?

I think I’ll go with happy.

We were eating at one of the food stalls when someone called out our names.

“Louis! Maria!”

We looked around and saw Hikaru-san walking towards us.

“Oh, hello, Hikaru-san!” I greeted.

“Didn’t I tell you to call me Hika-chan?” he said.

“---___--- Let me rephrase then… Goodbye, Hika-chan!”

“Oi! Why is it goodbye?”

“So… You’re here to eat, too?” I asked.

Why no! Can’t you see that this stall sells food??” he said, a little bit sarcastic.