MCIF Chapter 2.3

Chapter 2.3 - The Demon Chef, Zha Ji

Zha Ji bit through his own fingers and drew a circle in the air, "Have my blood guide the way. Seal, Endless Hatred." A red light flashed, enveloping Nian Bing's body. He faintly shivered, then returned to serenity.

Zha Ji continued, saying, "Nian Bing, I am named Zha Ji. I am your teacher. From now on, apart from your knowledge of understanding, the continent, and magic, you will forget all else. Whatever happened before now, let it become nothing. Currently, the only attachment in your mind is the cultivation of both magic and culinary arts, pursuing the pinnacle of culinary arts. That is your life's greatest objective."

Saying this, Zha Ji paused. Nian Bing then repeated, murmuring Zha Ji's previous sentences. His lifeless gaze becoming more and more engrossed.

Zha Ji's eyes displayed a trace of inner-turmoil and continued, "Unless your magic reaches a level powerful enough to annihilate your enemies, your memories will forever be sealed, unable to awaken. Sleep, Child. Sleep well." While saying this, Zha Ji embraced Nian Bing into his chest. Nian Bing closed his eyes. His hurried breathes became normal.

Holding Nian Bing, Zha Ji sighed, "I hadn't expected that I would exchange a meal for the first use of the hypnosis seal, and to go as far as to use it on a child. Nian Bing, forgive me. Grandpa had no alternative. If you aren't willing to follow me and learn my culinary arts, I fear that all I have learned will be lost. I hope you can understand Grandpa's painstaking efforts. Grandpa will certainly teach you with his heart and soul and turn you into the greatest chef of all. Perhaps in the future there will be a day when your memories will awaken. At that time, even if you hate me, I am willing to bear it. You cannot be the previous me. You cannot become the Demon Chef, but rather a magic chef. As a chef that can use magic, you will surpass all those that have preceded you and reach the true pinnacle of the culinary arts. Perhaps I am too selfish, but if your father and mother were alive, they definitely would not have blamed me. Rather than let hate forever live inside you, is it not better if you happily pursued the culinary arts?"

As Zha Ji murmured, talking to himself, he did not discover that when he said those last words, a trace of red light from Nian Bing's drooping right hand quietly died away.

Holding his body, Zha Ji carried Nian Bing to his room and tucked him in well. Zha Ji smiled, "At last, my wishes draws closer. There is no way I could possibly renounce the favor that the Heavens have granted me. Child, sleep well. From tomorrow on, you will learn the Demon Chef's skills. Haha, Hahaha!" Zha Ji's attachment to the kitchen arts caused him to forget all else. In these past ten years, nothing else had made him feel happier than he felt now.

Zha Ji closed the door and left. Perhaps he would not be able to sleep soundly today.

The wooden room became tranquil once more. Everything became entrenched in a concentrated darkness. Nian Bing who should have originally been fast asleep, suddenly sat up, his blue eyes revealed a faint light. It was not a dull expression. He appeared to be thinking deeply about something.

He held his hand to his bosom and took out two stones from within , one blue and one red. The red stone was carved in the shape of a flame. The blue stone shaped as a rhombus. Each of the two stones emitted rays of light in their color. The red and blue blades of light although weak, were separated from each other as if they were mutually repelling one another.

"Mother, thank you. If the Ice and Snow Goddess's Stone hadn't protected my spirit all along, perhaps I would've already lost my memories. Mother, can you tell me? What should Nian Bing do now? Do you want me to do as Zha Ji said and abandon all of my hate? No, it is impossible for me. Those people killed mother and father in such a painful way. I.... I...."