MCIF Chapter 17

Chapter 17.1 – The Mage Association’s Probe

He recovered all of his things from the firewood room where he was staying, and exited from the back door. On the street, a faint wind brushed by, blowing a fresh yet ice-cold wind. Nian Bing’s mind was comfortable. As he looked at the bustling crowds on the street filled with illuminating lanterns, he was suddenly overcome with a feeling of loss. Upon entering the Mage Association, he had encountered many things. Although he had not slipped-up for now, he still wondered, should he continue to stay in Ice Snow City? ‘Yes, I must definitely remain. Even if the cooking techniques of the Pure Wind House couldn’t hold my interest, the Mage Association library and the True Sun Knife that Feng Nu was making were both necessary to me. One month. I will leave in one month at the latest. Xue Jing, you may be in for a surprise. I only wanted to make you realize that you shouldn’t look down on everyone. I cannot retaliate, but at least I can give that unruly temperament of yours a lesson.’

When Nian Bing returned to the Mage Association, the night had already grown deep. Before entering the Association, he once again changed into his magic gown, which bore the emblem of a Great Mage on his chest. Once he had shown the badge on his chest, the night watch did not block him at all. Nian Bing did not immediately seek out the Ice Magic Scholar. Rather, he first returned to his own room and took a look at the Morning Dew Knife that was underneath the mattress. He hid the other stuff he had brought in a hidden location. Opening the door once again, he first surveyed the area. The passageway was absolutely free of any people. At this time, he left his room and walked out, closing the door with his back hand and headed in the westernmost direction.

As he walked, Nian Bing quelled his spirit force, and rotated his internal fire and ice magic source whirlpool to have the ice on the outside, fire on the inside. By doing so, he concealed his fire magic nature, one of his greatest secrets.

From the vantage point of the entrance, the westernmost room did not appear to have anything particular about it. It was actually similar to his own residence. After raising his hand to knock several times, he said, “Hello, I am Nian Bing.”

The door opened soundlessly. An old and muffled voice came from inside, saying, “Enter.”

Upon just crossing the threshold, Nian Bing abruptly felt something icy hit him in the face. Subconsciously, he lifted up the Icicle Rod in his hand and, in a flash, casted a rank 2 Ice Curtain spell to block his front.

The room suddenly lit up. This was also an entrance hall, only a lot bigger than his own. Atop the sofa sat the Ice Magic Scholar who calmly watched him. With a praising nod, he said, “Not bad; your reaction was very fast. No wonder Li De thought so highly of you. As a Magic Scholar, however, that alone is not enough to protect yourself. If the enemy had been a martial arts expert, and had mounted a sudden attack, you would have been entirely defenseless. Such low grade magic really is useless.”

Nian Bing stared blankly for a moment, then nodded his head and said, “Many thanks for giving me pointers, senior.”

The Ice Magic Scholar pointed to the couch by his side, and said, “Sit, I called you here. I have a few things I want to tell you. As for listening or not it depends on you.”

Nian Bing sat down on the sofa, and assumed an appearance of trust. In front of a Magic Scholar, even if he were to have his defenses up, it would be of no use. Besides, he firmly believed that this Ice Magic Scholar, at least for now, did not have any harmful intentions towards him.

A light flashed; suddenly many transparent gems were in the Ice Magic Scholar’s hand. The stones sparkled with a rainbow-colored ray of light. Before Nian Bing could respond, he clearly felt an extremely strong magic power enshrouding his body. The strange thing was, this magic power did not have an aggressive nature.