MCIF Chapter 24.2

Chapter 24.2 – Nine Mysterious Green Dragons Concealed in Clouds of Ice

At this moment, even the most simple-minded Xue Jing could tell that Nian Bing had changed. She was familiar with Ming Yuan ever since her father invited him to be a chef at Pure Wind House. She couldn’t fathom how much time and effort her father had spent to successfully convince Ming Yuan. Although, officially Ming Yuan was the head chef of Pure Wind House, but, in reality his influence exceeded his position. When her father, Xue Ji, saw him, even he would be respectful and would always treat Ming Yuan like a brother. This was the first time she saw Ming Yuan have such a respectful expression and the one who caused such an expression to appear was no other than the mysterious Nian Bing, the one who had upset her so much.

Nian Bing moved next to the table. He picked up some chopsticks and stacked them at the table’s leg in a neat and orderly pile. Then he took out all the cucumbers and sugar canes from the platter and piled them on top of the chopsticks. It was very clear that he didn’t want the ingredients to be dirtied by dust. Finally, he kept only one cucumber in his hand.

Nian Bing’s left hand held one end of the cucumber before slowly lifting it up. The waiter brought back nine cucumbers. The cucumbers weighed almost the same which met with Nian Bing’s request, but they all had different shapes. Nian Bing was staring at the cucumber and seemed to have completely forgotten about his surroundings. He only had his eyes on the green cucumber. In his right hand, he was holding Ming Yuan’s knife without moving.

Xue Jing looked at Nian Bing who was standing there strangely. She couldn’t help turning impatient. Just when she was about to say something, she was stopped by Ming Yuan with a shake of his head, hinting at her to not disturb Nian Bing’s concentration. Then, he himself resumed his observation as he watch attentively at Nian Bing’s hands, waiting with anticipation at Nian Bing’s next move.

At last, Nian Bing moved, to be precise, his right hand moved while his left hand kept holding one end of the cucumber as steady as a boulder. The knife in his right hand rose in the air and turned into a green light as it lightly cut the cucumber into 5 centimeters pieces with one swing.

Xue Jing almost laughed out, but she forced herself to keep her mouth closed and didn’t laugh out. ‘In the end after half a day of waiting, it was only just cutting a cucumber.’ However, she soon couldn’t even make a smile as Nian Bing’s wrist flipped and sliced the cucumber from one end to the other. The slices of cucumber were linked together, and what was most peculiar about that was that each slice was connected to each other by a tiny point which, according to common sense, shouldn’t be able to keep the slices linked together as each slice was too heavy and it should have broken already. But in reality, the points of connections were still holding together the slices of cucumber.

Ming Yuan exclaimed in surprise subconsciously, “The lotus roots may break, but the fiber remains joined!” As he realized the words he just said, he quickly covered his mouth. However, he was unable to hide the excitement sparkling inside his eyes. As a top-rated chef, how could he not feel anything when he watched such perfect cooking skills?

Nian Bing didn’t hear Ming Yuan at all. His mind was completely focused on the cucumber in his hand. Once again, the knife merely moved, but this time, it wasn’t like the two slow and unhurried knife slices. This time, the knife was like snow, with the flip of the wrist, the knife seemed to flutter in the air to the point that even Ming Yuan was unable to see clearly what Nian Bing was doing. He only saw slices of cucumber slowly falling down with each slice linked to each other by a point. Slowly the chain of slices became longer and longer, slowly reaching the platter, and occupying the center of the platter. As the bladelight continued to flicker, everyone looked on in complete rapture.