MCIF Chapter 5.3

Chapter 5.3 - Blue Fields on a Warm Day, Mist Rises from the Jade

When the waitress, who stood to the side, heard Nian Bing say that their food was disgusting, she could no longer stay calm and collected. She said snappily, "What did you say? This is how our food tastes in this restaurant. If you wanted to eat delicacies, you should have gone to Grand Pavilion or the Pure House in the city. The food there is good, but I'm afraid you couldn' afford them."

Zha Ji coldly glanced at her before taking out a gold coin. "Stop driveling and bring us to the kitchen. We just need to use your ingredients to cook only one dish."

After seeing the sparkling gold coin, the waitress' eyes lit up instantly. "Misters, please come this way." A gold coin was able to buy an entire table of food, and they only wanted to make a dish. No matter how expensive the ingredients they used, they would definitely rake in a large profit.

The kitchen and the restaurant were only separated by a wall. Even though the kitchen couldn't be said to be simple nor crude, it was obvious that the kitchen tools had been used for a long time already. Zha Ji couldn't stop himself from frowning. There were only two chefs in the kitchen. They cooked the dishes eaten previously.

The waitress walked to the side of one of the chefs and whispered a few words in his ear. That chef frowned but curiously looked at Zha Ji. He impatiently said, "You can use anything you like in this kitchen. The ingredients can be found over in that area. We are elated to have a break. Brother, let's go!" After he said that, he left the kitchen with the other chef to cool off in the shade in the backyard.

Zha Ji looked at Nian Bing before whispering, "I'll teach you how to cook your very first dish today. How long can you use your fire magic?"

Nian Bing thought for a moment before replying. "If it is just a normal flame, I can use it for an hour without any complications."

"Alright! Let's start. You go and get a wok and scrub it clean."

Nian Bing simply agreed, even though he didn't know what Zha Ji wanted to do. He immediately went to get a wok from the corner of the kitchen and scrubbed it clean. Zha Ji had already gone to where the ingredients were stored as Nian Bing went to scrub the wok. It was obvious that the ingredients had been washed. As Zha Ji glanced at the ingredients, he took some of them out and placed them on the chopping board. He continued on to put some seasonings on the kitchen table.

"Except for the tomato, you can cut the vegetables into strips."

"Yes, teacher." Nian Bing picked up a kitchen knife. His expression became focused the moment the knife entered his hand, and he didn't waste his year's worth of bitter training as the feeling of the knife fused with him, forming one entity, making the eleven year old look incisive. The different types of vegetables in front of him weren't significantly different, as they were only slightly different from chopping wood. That chubby hand of his placed the vegetables in front of him. The knife moved so fast that it only flashed light. The waitress couldn't figure out how Nian Bing cut the vegetables, whether it was potatoes, carrots or onions, entirely into even strips. Nian Bing easily finished his task after a few blinks of an eye.

Zha Ji smiled and passed an empty mixing bowl to Nian Bing. "In cooking, one of the most important components is seasoning. The requirement of this dish that I want you to do isn't hard, so I'll totally pass it to you to cook. You should first chop the tomatoes, prawns and oysters into a paste separately before placing them in the mixing bowl."

"En!" He followed Zha Ji's instructions after agreeing. His knife seemed to be flying as the fine chopping made a crisp rhythm on the chopping board. Zha Ji didn't stay idle either. He used another mixing bowl, put a few different seasonings in and used his bare hands to mix them evenly. Zha Ji had finished his part and combined the prepared seasonings with the tomato, prawn, and onion paste, at the same time Nian Bing finished his job. He passed a chopstick to Nian Bing and said, "Stir them evenly."