MCIF Chapter 31.2

Chapter 31.2: A Second Master

Long Zhi’s smile disappeared; in its place was a serious expression. “I hope that when I die, you will take over my position and take care of Ling’er for me. Can you promise me this?”

Nian Bing smiled bitterly and said, “You seemed to have posed two conditions. What do you mean by take care of?”

Long Zhi sighed lightly before saying, “I am a father. I only wish for my daughter’s happiness. If you can make LIng’er happy, then I don’t care about anything else. This may seem like a vain promise, but at least, while I am alive, I have the ability to take care of my daughter.”

Nian Bing sighed secretly. He nodded and said, “I will take care of her as best I can. If one day you are fast approaching death, come find me.” His tone of voice was calm, but his words were heavy. This was the first time in his life that Nian Bing had made such a promise.

Long Zhi smiled. “A man’s oath has no need for words. And the other condition?”

Nian Bing’s brows creased. He said, “I know you hope that the Ice and Moon Empire Mage Association will one day become great, but you should understand that the present Association is a terrible mess.”

Long Zhi laughed out loud. He said, “Of course it’s a terrible mess. If the situation was not so dire, why would I have made such a condition? The title of president sounds nice, but the mages under my command only numbers in the tens. My Mage Association cannot compare to other empires who have hundreds of Great Mages at the least. However, I believe that this situation will improve if you inherit it in the future. Of course, I will work hard and dedicate my life to pave the way for you. This condition is the most crucial point.”

Nian Bing took a deep breath, feeling that the burden on his shoulders had become much heavier. “Since I do not have any choice in the matter, I will agree. However, I cannot fulfill this promise for at least eight years. I need to honor my master’s final wishes. Eight years later, I will return here and start my fight with the Ice God’s Pagoda.”

Long Zhi’s eyes exuded a light of excitement. “Okay. We will seal the deal with a word. Kneel.”

Nian Bing stepped back and with a plop, both knees hit the ground. Deferentially, he said, “The disciple pays his respects to master.” Having said this, he kowtowed to Long Zhi three times in respect.

After Long Zhi had calmly received his greetings, he helped Nian Bing up. “Nian Bing, did you know that having a magister as a master is a lifelong dream for some mages? But looking at you, you don’t seem all that excited.”

Nian Bing smiled while saying, “Do you think I should be happier? After all, we are in a mutually beneficial relationship.”

Long Zhi spoke honestly. “I will concede that point, but you are my disciple and have made a promise to me. From now on, I will not withhold anything from you, just as I don’t from Ling’er. I had originally placed all my hopes onto Ling’er, but she is a girl. I had many worries, but now, your presence has improved the situation.”

Nian Bing said, “As a man, when I say something, it is like the water that rushes forward. My promise will definitely be completed. Although I cannot guarantee that the the Association will improve in my hands,  it will not get any worse.”

Long Zhi smiled and said, “Masters pass down wisdom, teach, and dispel doubts. Right now, I should fulfill my duties. From now on, this will be your classroom until you leave Ice and Snow City.”

Nian Bing asked in surprise: “You don’t seem like you want me to stay.”

Long Zhi nodded and said, “Yeah, that’s right. You cannot stay here. Do you know who came here before?”