MCIF Chapter 10.3

Chapter 10.3 - Pure Wind House

Nian Bing voiced out his agreement. He followed the black clothed servant along the small houses made of stone and went deeper into Pure Wind House. The further he went in, the more it exuded a refined atmosphere. Each place was well decorated which showed the owner's originality. There was nothing missing in the arrangement of the regular and open-sided pavilions. It gave people an impression of beauty which was simple and elegant.

The servant led Nian Bing out to the front courtyard. They arrived next to a house and walked inside until they reached the door of a room. The servant respectfully said, "Head Steward, are you here?"

A clear and sonorous voice sounded out. "Come in."

The servant turned towards Nian Bing and gave him a meaningful glance. Then pushed the door open and entered with Nian Bing. The room was very clean. It was connected to two bedrooms. The interior of the bedrooms couldn't be seen. However, from the outside, it appeared to be brimming with a scholarly feel. Several calligraphy paintings were hung on the wall. On the wide wooden desk, with a carving of flowers, there were all kinds of stationery items. A man that appeared to be more than thirty years old sat behind the desk with his head lowered as he wrote something. He was dressed in a white chang pao. Although Nian Bing could only partly see the man's face, he appeared surprised. Even though this man's appearance was ordinary, he possessed an extraordinary temperament. In his simple and elegant appearance, there was grandeur. 'Head Steward, Pure Wind House's Head Steward, huh?'

The servant faced the middle-aged man and said, "Head Steward, Miss brought this man back. She said to let him go to the firewood house to help. I led him here so that you could register him."

The white clothed man lifted his head to look at Nian Bing and their eyes met. From this man's pleasant pair of eyes, which gleamed like brilliant rays, Nian Bing could see the two words "wise" and "farsighted." In his mind he gloomily thought, 'This person will not be easy to deal with.'

The white clothed man slightly blanked as he looked at Nian Bing's handsome appearance and tall build. He asked, "What are you called? Where are you from? What can you do?"

Nian Bing replied, "I'm called Nian Bing. I originate from the Harmonic Flower Empire. I've been learning to cook for a while."

The white clothed man slightly smiled before speaking. "Then, what cooking academy did you attend?"

'Again with the cooking academy. If I had the opportunity, I truly want to go and see what theses cooking academies are teaching.' Shaking his head, Nian Bing told the truth. "I didn't attend any cooking academy."

The white clothed man spoke. "Little Four, take him to the place where he can get his uniform. Do as the Young Lady said and bring him to the firewood house to work as it was intended. If you do well, I can reconsider grooming you into a junior chef."

Little Four respectfully said, "Yes, Head Steward. You, follow me."

After Nian Bing changed into the cyan colored uniform Little Four gave him to try on, he was led into a small courtyard in the rear court. Inside the small courtyard, many piles of wood could be seen. Some were already properly chopped and neatly stacked together. Beyond the area of the pile of firewood, there was a shed. It was clear that they fear the firewood would get soaked by the rainwater. Just as Little Four entered the small courtyard, he started yelling, "Uncle Li, Uncle Li! I brought a new person."

A loud and clear voice sounded out. "Ah! A new person came. That's good. My weary old body can finally relax a bit." Followed by his voice, a man came out wearing the same cyan colored uniform as Nian Bing. It was a tall old man more than fifty years of age. He had a common appearance with not many wrinkles on his face and carried a hatchet in his hand. His face was bearing a smile. He seemed very easy to get along with.