MCIF Chapter 27

Chapter 27.1 - Trigger Magic Arrays

Long Zhi shook his head and said, "No, it won't be the same. The Rising Mage Tournament has very stringent requirements. Participants need to be under twenty-five years old. Even if the Ice God's Pagoda Faction fields a participant, they won't necessarily get first place every time. After all, it's hard for young mages to have great strength. But Nian Bing is different. With the Association's extensive resources and a year to spare, who knows how many levels he'll be able to rise in the future? There is a good possibility he could soar into the sky. If he nabs first place, our Association would also bring pride to the empire. At that moment, if the Ice God's Pagoda wanted to suppress us, it would no longer be that easy."

Long Ling spoke doubtfully, "You should tell these things to Nian Bing! What's the use of saying them to me?"

Long Zhi smiled slightly and said, "Of course there's a use. Ling'er, since your mother passed away, it was always Father who raised you. Honestly, you are the treasure of Father's heart. Father puts a great importance on the Association, but to me, you are definitely an existence equal to the Association. I am going to ask you a question, and you need to answer me truthfully. Do you like Nian Bing?"

Long Ling never thought that her father would ask such a question. Her pretty face immediately flushed scarlet. She shyly lowered her head, her hands fiddling with the lapels of her jacket. No words would come out.

Long Zhi smiled slightly and said: "What's going on? You're not saying anything? Could it be that even a handsome youth like Nian Bing does not attract my daughter? Darling daughter, your standards can't be too high. Think about it, if you marry Nian Bing, it'll be easy for you to eat lots of things."

"It isn't that, Father." Long Ling lowered her head, stammering. "Father, Nian Bing is truly, truly outstanding, but, we've only known each other for a short amount of time. How could I say if I like or don't like him? Don't pressure Ling'er!"

Long Zhi laughed and said, "Okay, okay. I won't pressure you. I will go and find Luo Rou for a chat and see if she is interested in Nian Bing."

"No." Long Ling anxiously raised her head to look at her father. "Father, don't do it! I, I......"

Long Zhi looked at his daughter with the shadow of a smile and said, "What's this, is Ling'er going to speak the truth?"

Long Ling's tone was annoyed as she spoke, "Father, you are really horrible. Fine, I'll admit that I do have a favorable impression of Nian Bing. However, you also saw it he doesn't care about anything other than magic and cooking."

Long Zhi let out a sigh and said, "It's enough if you like him. Everything else is easy to handle. Although Father is a bit utilitarian, I wouldn't make my daughter marry someone she doesn't love. Ling'er, remember Father's words. You must rely on yourself to fight for happiness. If you like Nian Bing, don't give up. Moreover, make your move soon. If you can grab his heart, then all the other problems will be solved as easily as bamboo splits at the knife's edge. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Long Ling lowered her head again. "But, Father, I am a girl after all. Could it be that you want me to reveal these thoughts to him?"

Long Zhi shook his head, and smiled while saying: "Of course that's not it. Just influencing him secretly is enough. After all, you spend all day together. Nian Bing is not an idiot. I think, that with my daughter being so beautiful, there's no way he wouldn't notice you. However, at the crucial moments, you can also prod him a bit. The way I see it, that girl Xue Jing also has some feelings for Nian Bing. If Xue Ji, that old fox, pushes the waves and adds to the billows1, it will be hard to say what will happen. You can't be thinking of giving the person you love to your friend, can you?"