MCIF Chapter 30

Chapter 30.1: A Skillful Fight against a Magister

At the Grand Pavilion, Jin Hao’s facial expression was grave as he sat down on a wooden chair decorated with flowery carvings. The Eldest Manager, Second Manager, as well as Liao Feng were standing in front of him.

Jin Hao slapped the table fiercely as he shouted angrily, “What do you have to say for yourselves! Why have each of you turned into a mute?”

The Eldest Manager, short and fat in stature, spoke with a face full of suffering, “Owner, what could we have done? You saw it too; that young’un called Nian Bing has almost godlike culinary skills. If we want to crush the Pure Wind House in this respect, I’m afraid it will be difficult.”

Jin Hao snorted coldly. “Don’t tell me you want to leave me helpless and waiting for death? Today’s competition was made known to the entire city; even the whole street was blocked off. If there is no way to deal with the outcome, our Grand Pavilion’s livelihood will drop by a thousand zhang in one moment1 Could it be that you want me to admit defeat to that old fool Xue Ji? Just thinking of him being pleased with himself makes me want to kill him.”

Second manager suddenly grinned darkly. He stepped forward once and said, “Owner, there is a way to resolve this issue.”

Jin Hao’s eyes glimmered as he said, “What is it? Quickly, speak.”

Second Manger rolled his eyes and said, “At the present, there are two different ways. When that young’un Nian Bing was making food, I was carefully observing him. His stature gave me a very familiar feeling. It was almost identical to that of the man who had killed third brother. Moreover, third brother was wounded with fire and ice magic at the same time. Today, Nian Bing displayed two kinds of magic. Although his level of magic was not on par with the Magic Reaper, if we take into consideration his magic control, it’s possible to say that he is at the level of the Magic Reaper.”

Jin Hao said, “You suspect that he is that Magic Reaper? Are you certain?”

Second Manager shook his head and said, “To be honest, your subordinate is not certain at all. When I was exchanging blows with that Magic Reaper, the main element he used was fire. But today, when Nian Bing was making his food, the principle element he used was ice. Since he only used scrolls to cast his fire magic, I can’t be certain that he’s the Magic Reaper from before. Still, we can start up an investigation. If he really is the Magic Reaper, then he is most likely the person that the Ice and Snow Goddess’ Worshiper Elder is looking for. Then, we need only secretly report it to the Goddess’ Worshipper Elder. Not only would Nian Bing be out of luck, but the Pure Wind House would also be implicated. Even Xue Ji would not escape. Even if the Devourer of Blood and Exterminator of Soul, Xue Po, was to act, he wouldn’t dare contend with the Goddess’ Worshipper Elder. Of course, there is a risk to doing things this way. First, we are not certain to find any evidence despite investigating. Even if Nian Bing is the Magic Reaper, if he is not the person that the Goddess’ Worshipper Elder is looking for, the Elder might take her anger out on us.”

Jin Hao nodded his head and asked, “What’s the other option?”

Second Manager huffed a laugh. He said, “The other way is much more certain to be fruitful.  Owner, since you and the imperial family have a close relationship, you only need to write a letter to His Majesty the king telling of Nian Bing’s culinary arts. How could His Majesty not summon him into the palace? Without Nian Bing and with only Ming Yuan, how could the Pure Wind House be our Grand Pavilion’s opponent?”

Jin Hao’s eyes glinted. “Good. Old Second, you are no doubt the one with brains. We will carry out both plans at the same time, just as we have planned. Tomorrow I will write the letter to His Majesty. At the same time, you will dispatch people to closely observe Nian Bing. You must find strong evidence. Got it?”